We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your trip to Panama RIU.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Your trip to Panama RIU.

Hey everyone.. with the state dept putting out cautions to travel to Mexico, was wondering how everyone felt about Panama. I am in Chicago and have no idea about Panama other than it looks awesome. I am a big fan of RIU resorts. So, the questions... Where did you fly into, did you have that " its safe" feeling and any recommended day trips, as my wife and I like to get out of the resort a few times. Thanks Kevin and Christine

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Panama
Panama
Central America
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
2 replies to this topic
Gatineau, Quebec
Level Contributor
23 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your trip to Panama RIU.

Rio Hato does have its own airport now, which is not much more than 10 or 15 minutes from the Riu. That said, I know some airlines are not yet flying there, and instead fly to the airport closer to Panama City (Tocumen) - meaning a long ride from the airport to the resort. The Rio Hato airport is small, and can't handle more than one plane or so at a time. When I was there in December our single plan full of people filled the entire departure terminal. But then again the airport doesn't handle more than a few flights per day, so this is ok for now.

For a day trip, it is hard to go wrong with Panama City. The canals and the old city are each worth seeing. You'll have to decide if you want to book a tour or maybe rent a car and do it yourself. I did the former. Panama CIty does have its bad sections, so if you're on your own, you might want to exercise the usual precautions.

As for safety, I never felt unsafe in the Rio Hato area. That said, there isn't a lot to do in town, as the area hasn't "built up" very much, though I'd expect this to change in the years to come (especially with the airport, which is only a few years old). There is a shopping centre a mile or two from the resorts, containing a supermarket called Super 99. This is a good spot for some very inexpensive shopping for things like booze or coffee. There is also a marketplace-type area a bit further into town that I didn't think was a big deal.

Mentioned in this post
Rio Hato
Rio Hato
Cocle Province, Panama
Panama City
Panama City
Panama Province, Panama
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
20,079 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your trip to Panama RIU.

I think there are only a couple ofCanadian airlines which fly to Rio Hato.

As well as coming into the city, another possibility is El Valle de Anton up in the hill.

Edited: 28 March 2018, 03:55
Mentioned in this post
Rio Hato
Rio Hato
Cocle Province, Panama
El Valle de Anton
El Valle de Anton
Cocle Province, Panama
Reply to: Your trip to Panama RIU.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rio Hato