We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NSW Snow fields

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
NSW Snow fields

Hi all ski enthusiasts,

We would like to take our three daughters, age 13, 13 & 11 to the snow this year. One has previous ski experience but the other two don't. Neither does myself or my partner. I would welcome any suggestions as to the most suitable and hopefully cost effective place to go. We live in Sydney.

Thank you

3 replies to this topic
Oz
Level Contributor
12,826 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NSW Snow fields

Hi,

I'm starting to sound like an advert for Tourism NZ!!!

I've skiied at least once a year for over fifty years, about twenty something years ago we skiied in New Zealand and have returned almost every year since as if you are going for a week or more it is considerably cheaper to ski in NZ than in Oz outside of school holidays.

If you fly into Christchurch, hire a car, drive to Queenstown or Wanaka, pay your accommodation, lift tickets, equipment hire et al it is chaeper than three nights accommodation only at Thredbo. The snow is better, there are hardly any lift lines and there aren't any trees!! Out of Queenstown Coronet Peak or The Remarkables would suit beginners with heaps of apres ski activities. Wanaka is more laid back than Queenstown but the adjacent Cardrona ski field suits beginners and intermediates. Nearby Treble Cone is for the more advanced.

Google Ski NZ and do the math.

Cheers,

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,060 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NSW Snow fields

Hi Jinty - did you want to drive yourselves to the skifields or get a bus tour? There are many great packages that include accommodation, ski hire, lift passes & lessons (a must for beginners and even experienced skiers). A great option for beginners and families coming for a first time visit is to stay at the Station Resort in Jindabyne. See here: perisher.com.au/tickets-passes-accommodation…

Also, can highly recommend http://www.australianalpineresorts.com or http://snowholidays.com.au/ for putting together a package for you. These companies have been operating for many years and have the experience to tailor a package to suit your family.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NSW Snow fields

The 6 hour drive from Sydney is tiring and my daughters (with 3 children) like to stop overnight and drive into Perisher or Thredbo the next day; presumably fresh from a good night's sleep. Last year however was a nightmare. They arrived 11;30 pm at Capitol Country Holiday Village just north of Canberra. The room was freezing cold - Beds were not made -up - no elec blankets - no heating - and relatively, expensive. They were too cold to sleep and arrived at Perisher the next morning - frazzled. The children were too tired to enter ski school and the money unrefundable. August 2013, they stopped at Alpine Country Motel 6 k's south of Cooma. The Motel Owner had "switched on the lights and heating Beds were very clean and comfortable" and the family were on snow and ready to ski at 8:30 the next day.

"Definitely better to travel the extra 1 1/2 hour to Cooma for a full day skiing the next day."

Reply to: NSW Snow fields
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cooma
Recent Conversations