We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Alpineway from Canberra

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Alpineway from Canberra

Hi,

We are based in Canberra and have booked 2 nights in Jindabyne in first week of Jan 14 for a road trip to Alpineway. Our daughter is 3 yo and my wife is pregnant so adventures are out of question but i need recommendations about any other activity which we could do in Cooma, snowy mountains or any where on our trip. I am also interested in landscape photography so any photo worthy spots recommendations are also welcome.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Canberra
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Jindabyne
Jindabyne
New South Wales, Australia
Cooma
Cooma
3 replies to this topic
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,141 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Alpineway from Canberra

Have a look at the "Things to Do" button at the top of this page for some popular local attractions. Also, call into the visitors centre at Cooma and/or Jindabyne on information of any current events during your stay. There are many fabulous photographic ops in the area and the boulders between Cooma and Berridale are often photographed.

A trip up to Thredbo and a ride on the chairlift to Top Station is a relaxed summer activity. Swim in the lake or walk/bike around it on the shared path. There is a great park with playground next to the bowling club in Jindabyne - always a good spot for a picnic.

When you say road trip to Alpine Way, are you going to continue along the Alpine Way over to Khancoban or just drive a part of it to Thredbo then back to Jindabyne? If the former, you can make a daytrip of driving past Thredbo and Dead Horse Gap to Tom Groggin picnic area (have to take all your food/drinks etc with you as no facilities).

Mentioned in this post
Cooma
Cooma
Jindabyne
Jindabyne
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,195 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Alpineway from Canberra

The countryside along the highway is very photogenic itself - vast expanses of rolling grazing land - especially is you venture down the Snowy Mountains Highway from Cooma toward Nimitabel and Bombala.

Mentioned in this post
Snowy Mountains
Snowy Mountains
43 Reviews
Cooma
Cooma
Canberra, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,732 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Alpineway from Canberra

The snow gums are very photogenic, they have wonderful coloured bark. I'm not sure if there are any particular locations.

Reply to: Trip to Alpineway from Canberra
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cooma
Recent Conversations