We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cooma to Albury

Exeter GB
Level Contributor
962 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Cooma to Albury

Driving from Cooma to Albury in April.

The RAC routefinder gives the route via Jindabyne as 330km,taking 4hrs10mins. but a route further north first taking the Snowy Mountains Highway and then turning west beyond Adaminaby as 316km and 3hrs53mins. So not much to choose between them. Has anyone a view on this choice: quality of roads, scenery...? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Cooma
Cooma
New South Wales, Australia
Albury
Albury
Jindabyne
Jindabyne
Snowy Mountains
Snowy Mountains
43 Reviews
7 replies to this topic
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,533 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cooma to Albury

Habing taken the Snowy Mountains highway from Adaminaby to the Hume highway many times I would take this route anytime. There is a variety of scenery that is spectacular in places until you hit the Hume freeway.

Exeter GB
Level Contributor
962 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cooma to Albury

Thanks Famrick.

The route the RAC have doesn't go all the way to the Hume highway but turns west beyond Adaminaby on a lesser road which eventually reaches the Murray Valley Highway close to Corryong.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cooma to Albury

I think the north route is taking you to Corryong via Mt Selwyn (small ski resort in winter, nothing open out of season) and Cabramurra (which would be consistent with turning west beyond Adaminaby'). Cabramurra is a town built by the Snowy Mountains Scheme. It's the highest town in Australia but tbh, is not so special, just a company service town with little character.

The route via Jindabyne (the Alpine Way) would be my choice, without doubt. Scenery is gorgeous; the road as far as Corryong is slow and winding, so don't plan on rushing it. A few highlights..

Lovely scenery around Lake Jindabyne and the town itself is quite cute - esp around Nugget's crossing. There is a big NPWS info centre between the 'old town' - the first shops you come too (originally built to replace drowned Jindabyne in the 60s) and Nugget's Crossing. Lots of info about walks etc here. Old Jindabyne (drowned to make the lake as part of the Snowy Mountains Scheme) is marked by a black buoy a few hundred metres from the shore.

Wild Brumby cafe and schnapps distillery on the Alpine Way between Jindabyne and Thredbo. Delicious food and coffee (much with an Austrian twist reflecting one of the owner's heritage), schnapps to take home.

http://www.wildbrumby.com/

Thredbo - not much will be happening (unless its Easter in which case the whole area will be busy). Take the chairlift to Eagle's Nest and if you have time, walk out to Kosciuszko, or at least the lookout. You can stay the night in Thredbo at the Thredbo Alpine Hotel. It's expensive but there's very little open out of season, and even fewer that will take one night stays.The bistro ( ordinary) and possibly Cascades restaurant should be open, but check. Knickerbocker at Thredbo is good too, but check whether it's open. A lovely time of the year for a walk in the high country - although take insect repellent in case March flies are still about.

Between Thredbo and Geehi Flat, you'll see historic Tom Groggin Station in the distance (private so can't visit) - legend has it this is where AB Paterson wrote the Man from Snowy River. Having come down the surrounding mountains in a 4wd, I can personally attest to Banjo's words..

'Where the hills are twice as steep and twice as rough,

Where a horse's hoofs strike firelight from the flint stones every stride,'

You can access the Murray River at Tom Groggin and it's interesting to see it here, where it's still a mountain stream, then compare it at Albury.

Geehi Flat is a beautiful picnic area by the Geehi River and was used heavily during the construction of the SMS ,, and earlier by the original cattlemen driving their cattle up to the high country for the summer.There is a large mob of kangaroos in the area and it's great just to sit and watch them going about their business, with the towering west face of the Great Divide in the background.

Continue on the Alpine Way, through the mountains to Khancoban, then to Corryong. It's a lovely drive from Corryong along Lake Hume to Albury.

There are limited shops along the way. You can pick up ready made sandwiches and wraps etc at Sundance Bakery at Nuggets Crossing in Jindabyne. Wild Brumby is definitely worth a stop.

It's one of the great drives of Australia. Have fun!

Edited: 02 March 2015, 06:15
Mentioned in this post
Snowy Mountains
Snowy Mountains
43 Reviews
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Jindabyne
Jindabyne
Lake Jindabyne
Lake Jindabyne
311 Reviews
Jindabyne, Australia
Albury
Albury
Lake Hume
Lake Hume
250 Reviews
Albury, Australia
Exeter GB
Level Contributor
962 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cooma to Albury

sasanqua,

You really should get a job at the NSW Tourist Authority (or similar). Sounds a great trip and I'm sold - thank you. Presumably these roads are surfaced throughout (?)

Sydney
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cooma to Albury

Awww, thanks. I have been frequenting this area since childhood....a LOOOONG time ago!

I didn't realise you are from Great Britain (?) so have made some assumptions. Thredbo is a major (for Australia anyway), ski resort, 'the season' = ski season. Snowy Mountains Scheme= scheme in the 50s that involved catching the rain/snow falling on the Great Dividing Range that naturally flowed east, in a series of dams, and ultimately reversing the flow to provide irrigation to areas west of the mountains, and hydro power along the way. It is responsible for huge economic and social benefits to Australia (many migrants came here to work on the scheme).

snowyhydro.com.au/discover/…

file:///F:/Libraries/Murrumbidgee%20Valley%20Irrigation%20Areas.pdf

Yes, all the roads are sealed and of good quality. It is slow though between Thredbo and Corryong, so leave yourself time. Avoid long grass, particularly near fresh water (rivers)- there are snakes about. Having said that, in all my years walking down there I've never seen one, and Geehi has large cleared areas.

Have a wonderful time.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Snowy Mountains
Snowy Mountains
43 Reviews
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,578 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cooma to Albury

Agre e with sasanqua we have done it a few times now it s sealed and years b4 it was sealed an d just a rough dirt road in 2wd car too.Its a very scenic journey and lovely photo stops along the way .

Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
11,306 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cooma to Albury

I have have done the trip many times but not in at least 20 years.

The route was Adaminiby - Khancoban - Corryong

No idea what the road is like now but back then there were many hairpin bends and long stretches of no more than about 40kph on average

I should also add, that after every trip, I promised myself I would just drive via Tumut to the Hume highway next time. But never did.

Edited: 02 March 2015, 18:18
Reply to: Cooma to Albury
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cooma
Recent Conversations