We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting places to visit from Quinta do Lago

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
617 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
Interesting places to visit from Quinta do Lago

Following on from my previous post (reasonably priced restaurants near Almancil), I'd be interested to hear of anywhere you consider would be interesting to visit while we are staying on the Quinta do Lago in Aug with an 11 and 13 yr old.

Last time we visited 5 years ago armed with a Rough Guide and ventured to Tavira which we loved (and took a boat out to the heaving islands that we hated). We visited the Portuguese Water Dogs at the Ria Formosa Nat Park which we'll do again, had a stroll around Almancil and popped up to Loule but the market was being refurbed and was in a multi story car park! Didn't like Albufuera (?) - too touristy.

So we like things that are more Portuguese and would welcome any suggestions. Also, anywhere so eat while we're there come to that.

Many thanks again.

Sarah

Mentioned in this post
Almancil
Almancil
Faro District, Portugal
Tavira
Tavira
Faro District, Portugal
Loule
Loule
Faro District, Portugal
merseyside
Level Contributor
4,650 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interesting places to visit from Quinta do Lago

Try driving up to Monchique and Silves also the village of Alte

Mentioned in this post
Monchique
Monchique
Faro District, Portugal
Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
617 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interesting places to visit from Quinta do Lago

Do you have any idea how long it would take from where we are staying to get to these destinations ie would it be a day trip between the three or warrant individual visits (haven't got my research head on yet!). Can you give me some idea what sort of places they are - are they traditional Portuguese towns/villages or do they have a particular 'attraction'?

Sarah

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
54,562 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interesting places to visit from Quinta do Lago

Loule market is back where it belongs in the excellently restored market hall and well worth a visit one morning. No parking in city centre of course but you won't have to walk far.

Buy the Rough Guide map of the Algarve if you can. I got mine in WH Smith. Although it does have several errors it is I think one of the better maps of the region for navigation.

Check out the distances using Google Maps (www.maps.google.uk) or something similar. Depending on your level of enthusiasm, Silves the historic capital of the Algarev with big castle and church high ona hill) and Monchique (old spa town) should easily be covered in day, morning in one and afternoon in the other. I find Monchique too touristy. A bit further on, if it's a nice day, is the summit of Foia, at about 3,000 feet the highest point in the Algarve. On a good day there are excellent 360 degree views of the countryside right down to the sea. Take binoculars.

Alte and the N124 road is a nice area, high up in the hills. Google maps says it is about an hour's drive from Quinta do Lago. Drive through the villages of Benafim, Salir and Barranco Velho if you can, very scenic with lots of places to stop off and admire the views. Some fun driving too.

Alte is a bit touristy (craft shops and all that) but most of the villages ap there are fairly untouched by mass tourism.

There's also the excellent Roman museum and site at Estoi, just to the north of Faro. It's called Milreu. Closed on Mondays I think - it's while since I have been that way. To the north of Estoi a few miles is the pleasant town of Sao Bras de Alportel. The 'old quarter' is worth a stroll.

If you and yours are up for a longer drive, aim for the west coast between Vila do Bispo and Aljezur. Down the little lanes off the main road there are some stunning beaches and dramatic cliffs, almost unspoiled, at places like Bordeira and Carrapateira. It's a national park and so far at least the money-grabbing developers have not yet made inroads.

Finally, for the big cliffs and crashing waves it's Cape St Vincent, but you will see the burger vans etc cluttering up the approach.

I hope that helps.

Edited: 25 February 2010, 23:11
Mentioned in this post
Loule Market
Loule Market
764 Reviews
Loule, Portugal
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
Monchique
Monchique
Faro District, Portugal
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Aljezur
Aljezur
Faro District, Portugal
Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
617 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interesting places to visit from Quinta do Lago

Hi Cubsur

Many thanks for all the helpful pointers - definitely wouldn't have thought of googling for distances in Portugal and it beats trying to work it out in centimeters on a tourist map!

It's also great to get the low down on some of the smaller towns and villages and we'll be off exploring in August. Love the sound of cliffs and waves too - just wish our timeshare place was somewhere a bit more central and certainly away from the mega priced Q do L!

Sarah

Mentioned in this post
5. Re: Interesting places to visit from Quinta do Lago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2016, 03:00
Edited: 25 March 2016, 03:00
Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
797 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interesting places to visit from Quinta do Lago

I think Lagos is really beautifull and they also have a lot of boat tour options you can take from there (from 15 euros up, for an afternoon in a quiet nice boat). From Vilamoura (next to QL) there are also lots of boat tours you can take along the coast.

My favorite place in Algarve is Cacela-a-Velha, nice place for a stroll and lunch. If you manage to get to the beach (private boat access only) it's amazing and very secluded.

I also enjoyed going to Milreu roman ruins and the Palace of Estoi, this is not too far from QL.

Mentioned in this post
Lagos
Lagos
Faro District, Portugal
Vilamoura
Vilamoura
Quarteira, Portugal
Algarve
Algarve
Portugal
7. Re: Interesting places to visit from Quinta do Lago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2010, 12:15