We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tips for trip to Almancil

Wolverhampton...
2 posts
Save Topic
tips for trip to Almancil

Hi

we are travelling to the algarve for the first time in 4 weeks time - we have decided to rent a Villa in Almancil

our group is made up of 8 adults and 4 kids ( 2 at 6yrs and 2 at 3 yrs)

I have a few questions,,,

1, is it more cost effective to hire a minivan or get private taxi transfer

2, what are tehe best supermarket for our initial big shopping trip?

3. whhat would the cost be by taxi to the shopping forum neaar Faro?

4. how close are the nearest beaches ? cost by taxi?

5. any recomendations on theme/waterparks for daay trip with kids

would really appreciate anny help

Regards

Mac

Mentioned in this post
Almancil
Almancil
Faro District, Portugal
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
54,535 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tips for trip to Almancil

Here are my thoughts

1, is it more cost effective to hire a minivan or get private taxi transfer

Given the size of the group and as you want to get around once there, a minivan sounds a good idea. You can go to one of the licensed transfer company websites for an idea of what a transfer from/to the airport would cost

www.bravotur.com

www.dailytours.com

www.yellowfishtransfers.com

www.algarve-365.com

are just a few

2, what are the best supermarket for our initial big shopping trip?

Almancil has an excellent, if slightly pricy, Apolonia supermarket (http://www.apolonia.pt/en/index.php) and a new Pingo Doce, both more or less in the town centre but on the west side. Or if you have your van, the Jumbo hypermarket at the Forum Algarve or the Pingo Doce opposite.

3. what would the cost be by taxi to the shopping forum near Faro?

About 10 Euro. The bus from Almancil to Faro bus stops right outside, cost €2,95.

4. how close are the nearest beaches ? cost by taxi?

Nearest beaches are at Vale do Lobo and Quinta do Lago. Both are about 4 miles, so around 8 Euros taxi from the centre of town.Your villa won't be in the centre of town, so any taxi might cost more (or less) depending on exact location. Taxi drivers don't take kindly to wet, sand covered children, so you might consider the beach at Quarteira if you will be near the bus route. Bus takes about 12minutes and costs €2,95 or you can of course go there also by taxi or in the van if you hire one.

5. any recomendations on theme/waterparks for day trip with kids

There are masses of places to visit including the waterpark just outside Quarteira - www.aquashowpark.com and they might also like a boat trip from Faro around the marshes and islands to see the birds and fishes - http://www.ilha-deserta.com/?lang=uk

I hope that helps.

Mentioned in this post
Almancil
Almancil
Faro District, Portugal
Forum Algarve
Forum Algarve
382 Reviews
Faro, Portugal
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Quarteira
Quarteira
Faro District, Portugal
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tips for trip to Almancil

The taxi to Forum Algarve will be nearer E20 similarly an airport taxi. The Continente hypermarket on the Almancil side of Loule is as big as Jumbo in Forum Algarve and is more convenient. Apolonia is theAlgarve's answer to Waitrose. To get the best out of the area your own transport is a must. This is not public transport territory, taxis for even a week would be exorbitant. Quateira beach is poor in comparison with Ancao, Quinta do lago. They back on to dunes, a nature reserve. Quateira is backed by high rise apartment blocks

Edited: 25 June 2011, 05:34
Mentioned in this post
Forum Algarve
Forum Algarve
382 Reviews
Faro, Portugal
Almancil
Almancil
Faro District, Portugal
Loule
Loule
Faro District, Portugal
scotland
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: tips for trip to Almancil

Hi there I have been going to almancil for the past 5 years with my brood of four who are now 8-12.

Definitely hire a minivan it's really easy to drive yourself from the airport to almancil and it's only about 15mins. You then have the freedom to explore the region as much or little as you like.

There are a couple of big supermarkets in loulevand for a big shop go there apolonia is LOVELY but pricey also you can pick up very cheap sun umbrellas and beach mats in the supermarket at loulevand for taking to the beach. Ancao is a great beach and plenty room for everyone I think the car park is free however if you go through quint do lago and follow signs for beach you'll come to a car park where you then have to cross a wooden bridge over the nature reserve which young kids love then the surprise of going over the dune and seeingvthe beach is great.

Go to aqua show this is the best for small and big kids alike I've been every year and they really pump profits back in to making it even better the next time. Arrive early and find a spot near the childrens pools up the back in the shade to set up camp.

Hope this helps anything else just ask I'm going on Wednesday and cannie wait,,,,,

4. Re: tips for trip to Almancil

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2012, 18:15
;