We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarket/water

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Supermarket/water

Please can somebody tell me where I will be able to buy water suitable for babies (Evian or similar) after 23:00 next Monday. Our flight lands at 22:25 and we will need to buy water for babies bottles when we arrive. Any help is appreciated.

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,709 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarket/water

Doubt it - even here the shops close at 11pm most days. Apolonia in Almancil closes at 2100 and the Pingo Doce at 2200

With a 2225 arrival you are really going to have to cross fingers that the flight lands on time, that bags come quick and your car rental is sorted quickly.

The only place I can think of that will be open later is the Jumbo hypermarket in Faro which is apparently open until 2300 during the week. But you really have only the slimmest chance of getting there before closing.

This is not directly on the way to Almancil. Heading out of the airport, you turn right and go towards Faro. After about a mile you will see the Forum Algarve shopping centre on the left; Jumbo is in there.

BTW there is a lot of bottled water you can buy if Evian is not available and it will be a great deal cheaper.

Given that you might not get to a shop here in time, is there any way the people from whom you will be renting or the hotel might do you a favour? Or put a couple of bottles in your hold baggage?

Mentioned in this post
Almancil
Almancil
Faro District, Portugal
Faro
Faro
Faro District, Portugal
Algarve Shopping
Algarve Shopping
693 Reviews
Albufeira, Portugal
Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,196 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarket/water

When you leave from the airport, take a turn to the right direction Faro.

After 2 min. you'll see a big mall "Forum Algarve" on your left.

There's a Jumbo supermarket and it's open till midnight.

Mentioned in this post
Forum Algarve
Forum Algarve
372 Reviews
Faro, Portugal
Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,196 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarket/water

Given the previous posts there may now be confusion about Forum Algarve opening times. I was in Forum Algarve last week and read the opening hours being till 24.00 hours.

Another option is the coffee shop in the arrival hall of the Airport. They

sell water but not sure which brands.

Edited: 17 July 2012, 06:43
Mentioned in this post
Forum Algarve
Forum Algarve
372 Reviews
Faro, Portugal
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarket/water

Can you not buy the bottled water in departures of the airport before you leave the UK ?

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,709 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarket/water

Bottled water in an airport terminal - yes at several times the price you pay in a regular supermarket.

According to the Forum Algarve website, Jumbo is open until 2300 weekdays, 2400 on Fridays and Saturdays and 2200 on Sundays. The Jumbo own website does not give the opening hours! Hence the confusion.

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Forum Algarve
Forum Algarve
372 Reviews
Faro, Portugal
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Supermarket/water

I agree the price will be inflated but it will be peace of mind for one evening/morning until a local shop can be carried out.

Redditch, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Supermarket/water

I would pack a litre or two in the baby's luggage in a flask. Also buy some at the airport (surely you will want some for the flight anyway) before I left. Sure it's more expensive but we are only talking a couple of pounds.

Tavira, Portugal
Level Contributor
455 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Supermarket/water

Again at an inflated price, you could stop at the petrol station immediately outside the airport.

B

www.movingtoportugal.org

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,196 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Supermarket/water

Just called Forum Algarve and until September they are open till midnight. Jumbo supermarket included. She said they are aware that the website is not up to date.

Hope this ends the confusion and it will be of help for the initial question.

Mentioned in this post
Forum Algarve
Forum Algarve
372 Reviews
Faro, Portugal
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
53,709 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Supermarket/water

Thanks FTHW and this will help many others.

When will Portugal wake up and get the publicity correct and up to date!

Mentioned in this post