We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rincon/Mayaguez or more?

1 post
Save Topic
Rincon/Mayaguez or more?

Hello -

I am looking for some advice, if possible. I am a 58 year old female in good health but a bit compromised as far as extreme sporting/exercise. I have traveled extensively in the US, and quite a bit on the West coast of Mexico - and I speak Spanish that i have been told by native speakers is quite good enough to get around in Puerto Rico. I am going to be travelling alone for the first time and taking my first "big" vacation in several years. This is the first time that I have ever not used a travel agency and bought a package. I'm looking to go within the first 2 weeks of May, and I want a relaxing, quiet vacation on the beach, and I'm looking to stay a week or so. I've looked at many Airbnb properties and this is most likely what i'll rent - BUT... everything I have seen seems to think that I HAVE to go to San Juan and spend the majority of my time doing those things that "everyone" does. I'm wondering if I would be making a horrible mistake going with my original plan, which is to fly into Aguadilla and head to either Rincon or Mayaguez and just...hang out.

I'm also wondering if, should I do what I am considering, I would need a car or not.

Advice would be greatly appreciated on any/all points above.

Thanks so much!

Jeanne in Toledo

4 replies to this topic
San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
9,769 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rincon/Mayaguez or more?

You should fo what you want to do. If you want a relaxing vacation, go northwest. Why not? But not Mayaguez. Rincon, Isabela and Aguadilla are better options.

If you want to be in a more tourist area, then go to SJ. But only if you want to :)

Barrington, Rhode...
Level Contributor
228 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rincon/Mayaguez or more?

I have been to Rincon a few times and really enjoy it. You could rent somewhere near the beach and or downtown and have restaurants you can walk to and many within a short drive. You will need a car.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rincon/Mayaguez or more?

Agree with not staying and Mayagüez. Rincón, Aguadilla and Isabela are good options for relax vacation.

You can do a relax day trip to San Juan, to see Old San Juan and the forts. It will be a long drive, but if you plan accordingly is doable. Just don't go on Friday, because afternoon traffic out of San Juan is hectic.

USA
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rincon/Mayaguez or more?

I like Rincon. I highly recommend it for nice beaches, good food, and a relaxed atmosphere. If you want to spend a day in San Juan you could fly into SJU, spend your first day there, then rent a car, drive to Rincon, and on the way home fly out of BQN. That would save you a one way drive across the island. Or alternatively after your day in San Juan you could fly from SJU to MAZ, rent a car at MAZ, drive 15 mins to Rincon, and at the end of your trip fly home either from BQN or MAZ-SJU-home. That would totally avoid the cross island drive.

Edited: 31 August 2017, 10:52
Reply to: Rincon/Mayaguez or more?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rincon
Recent Conversations