We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Searching for Danny Smiricky...

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
89 posts
99 reviews
Searching for Danny Smiricky...

Have any other Skvorecky fans made the trip to Nachod to see the real background to his wonderful stories and novels? And once you're there, is easy to wander around the various localities mentioned in the books?

(If the tourist office is on the ball, I imagine a "Skvorecky tour" would be a must...)

2 replies to this topic
Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
20,287 posts
85 reviews
1. Re: Searching for Danny Smiricky...

you may have to do some searching on Czech pages and then run the text through google translate

for ex.

…idnes.cz/pisu-jen-o-kamaradech-z-nachoda-ri…

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
31,363 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Searching for Danny Smiricky...

I used to work in Náchod and I have to say, it isn't the most inspiring of places ... saying that, though, it is a very nice part of the world with the Adršpach rocks and Nové Město nad Metují close at hand novemestonm.cz/user_data/… (the castle is definitely worth a visit - one of the country's best)

Also if it is a nice day and you are feeling fit, you can walk to the first Polish town across the border (Kudowa Zdrój) for a change of scenery.

Otherwise wandering around is easy, however I'm not sure how easy it is to find the streets as he used the fictional name Kostelec - it isn't a big place at all, though.

Reply to: Searching for Danny Smiricky...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hradec Kralove