We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about a 3 night stay in Prague

Istanbul
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about a 3 night stay in Prague

I will be visiting Prague with my husband on 9th April. I wanted to ask some questions. Hope you can help.

1- Are credit cards safe? I heard about different exchange rates and I rather use a credit card in restaurants and cash when buying stuff off the streets or in shops. Also should I exchange at the airport? What should I watch out for?

2- We are going with a tour, so they will take us to must-see places, but I was wondering about the must-see restaurants and cafes.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Johnny Pizza
$, Italian, Pizza, Fast food
Wine O'Clock Shop Prague
$$ - $$$, Italian, Mediterranean, European
Indian By Nature II
$$ - $$$, Indian, Asian
Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
716 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about a 3 night stay in Prague

Hi,

credit cards are completely safe as anywhere in the western Europe and they are widely accepted (definitely everywhere in the touristy places). They may not be accepted in some more local pubs (but they are in almost all restaurants). The acceptance of credit cards is usually also marked on the entrance door to the shop or restaurant.

Be careful about exchanging in small exchange offices in the streets. The rates may be really bad, particularly in the city center. Exchanging in a bank is safe. The exchange rate of Czech Crown to Euro is now a bit above 24 CZK for 1 EUR, so look for something like that. Never accept exchange offers from strangers in the street! I would also avoid exchanging money at the airport. I suppose the rates will be worse. Maybe just a small amount to have at least something.

A good exchange office is www.exchange.cz. The office is located near the Old town square (Kaprova street) in the city center.

Concerning the restaurants and caffés, I would suggest places where there are lots of locals. Local people know the best where to go. I would definitely avoid restaurants in the very center in the most touristy places. They are almost always overpriced and the quality is bad.

I suggest Pizzeria Fresco Vento for Italian food (Palackeho namesti square). - cards accepted

http://www.frescovento.cz/

U bile kravy (At the white cow) for fantastic French cuisine specialized on beef steaks of Charolais cows (Rubesova st., near Wenceslas square) - cards accepted

http://www.bilakrava.cz/

And if you are looking for a good Czech pub, go to Pod Slavinem (Svobodova st.). They have fantastic Budweiser beer (the Czech original, not the American rot-gut) and enormous portions of Czech food for very reasonable prices. - cards probably not accepted

http://www.pod-slavinem.cz/

Have a nice stay :-).

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Old Town Square
Old Town Square
50,816 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
Wenceslas Square
Wenceslas Square
1,979 Reviews
Prague, Czech Republic
thesaloniki
Level Contributor
689 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about a 3 night stay in Prague

It will be possibly cheaper toy use your credit card and an atm to get crowns but you should ask your bank about this

In any case you don`t ever change money in the street Same goes for the airport ..... The rate is a joke there too (personal experience) but i guess you`ll need some crowns to get you in the city.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about a 3 night stay in Prague

Thank you so much:))

4. Re: Questions about a 3 night stay in Prague

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 19:17