We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Over night Train from Amsterdam-Don't want sleeper

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Over night Train from Amsterdam-Don't want sleeper

Hi! Will be traveling from Amsterdam to Prague on the over night train and I have a few questions.

1. What is the best site to book this ticket?

2. What is a reasonable price?

3. What If i dont want a sleeper car, I just want a regular seat. Is this possible?

4. How far ahead should i book?

Any and ALL suggestions would be extremely helpful! Thank you!

Mamzaleg

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,950 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Over night Train from Amsterdam-Don't want sleeper

You can buy from Deutsche Bahn - a random date in April - price 29 euros in a seating compartment.

Buy as soon as your dates are fixed, not sure whether the tickets can be refunded.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
30,533 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Over night Train from Amsterdam-Don't want sleeper

Tickets go on sale 92 days before travel - best to book as soon as you possibly can as the cheap seats sell out very quickly.

IMO it it worth paying the extra €20 for at least a couchette berth on such a long journey - they cost from €49..

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,150 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Over night Train from Amsterdam-Don't want sleeper

Hi

My son has just made this journey in a sleeping compartment. He said the journey was brilliant, for less than the price of a hotel room he had an extremely comfortable bed, spotlessly clean bed linen, a large picture window to watch the world go by and breakfast. Well worth the €79 which he paid about two weeks in advance.

I think 15 hours (the train was an hour late) sitting on a seat would not have been quite as good. Take my advice pay the extra and travel in comfort, arriving in Prague fully rested for a day's sightseeing.

The booking was made through Deutsche Bahn, but can also be made with Netherlands Hi Speed. Just pick the one with the cheapest price.

Enjoy Prague

Jackie

Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
40,950 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Over night Train from Amsterdam-Don't want sleeper

Yes, the whole trip is close to 15 hours, at least half of the time you won't be able to see anything......not sure why you want to take the night train, I think I would opt for a flight - Easyjet from Amsterdam to Prague, very quick and quite cheap - circa 60 euros one way.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
5. Re: Over night Train from Amsterdam-Don't want sleeper

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 15:19