We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Local clothing styles/colors Poland and the CZ? Shorts?

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
326 reviews
Save Topic
Local clothing styles/colors Poland and the CZ? Shorts?

I always try to blend in when I go to Europe and have been semi-successful in other European countries. This, however, will be my first trip to Eastern Europe. I will go to Poland and the Czech Republic.

I would like to know in general what color of pants do the locals wear? blacks? greys? khakis? In Paris for example most people wore lighter colors, like khaki.

Do they wear hats? If so, what style? (links appreciated) No baseball hats of course.

Other things I should be aware of? Dress codes for certain things, etc? Like for Auschwitz?? Or the castle?

I will be going in September or October, I believe the whether will not be suitable for shorts right? And I suspect they may not wear shorts either?

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Poland
Poland
Europe
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum
Auschwitz-Birkenau State...
11,901 Reviews
Oswiecim, Poland
5 replies to this topic
Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk, Zakopane, Wroclaw, Poznan, Southern Poland, Northern Poland, Lesser Poland Province
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Local clothing styles/colors Poland and the CZ? Shorts?

After the unexpected 6 weeks of the hot summer weather this year no one will tell you what it will be like in October. Normally you wouldn't wear shorts in Autumn. But define "normal".

No rules regarding pants. No hats. No special dress code, anywhere, except of course fine restaurants, theaters, etc.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Local clothing styles/colors Poland and the CZ? Shorts?

Hi macieii, thank you for your reply.

I will always wear a hat because I am 1/2 bald. Which type of hat would be more suitable?

I will bring convertible pants then. Just in case it gets overly hot. Shorts are acceptable at tourist sites? I would suspect so. Auschwitz shorts are ok?

Frankly I think I would prefer a bit hotter than having it rain on me. But one just never knows...

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk, Zakopane, Wroclaw, Poznan, Southern Poland, Northern Poland, Lesser Poland Province
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Local clothing styles/colors Poland and the CZ? Shorts?

Baseball-style caps are ok. All other types too, but we don't wear them, so you will look like tourist with a different type of hat :D

Unless it realy gets cold and you can wear a winter hat or similar.

Shorts are ok at tourist sites, of course.

The only exception in our otherwise liberal world :D - are the catholic churches. In principle catholic men should not wear any head cover when visiting churches. So if you want to blend in, this concerns you too. But to be honest, I have never paid attention to the visiting tourists, so I can't tell you whether and how they follow this rule. No one will bother too much if you don't follow it, though.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 14:54
Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Local clothing styles/colors Poland and the CZ? Shorts?

Well I would be taking off the hat when I go indoors no matter for what it is, but especially for churches. The hat is for the sun. haha. But ok, so I guess I will end up looking like a tourist, well so be it I guess.. I suspect it may not get overly cold during the day, but if I am out at night, yeah I might need to bring a winter type hat as well.

My only consideration was if long pants would be needed for churches, but based on your reply it seems things are fairly flexible.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Local clothing styles/colors Poland and the CZ? Shorts?

If you are attending a service, at some places, in smaller communities, short pants may bring comments. Nothing more.

If you are a tourist, short pants are ok

Reply to: Local clothing styles/colors Poland and the CZ? Shorts?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;