We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poznan - some thoughts

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
18,318 posts
68 reviews
45 helpful votes
Poznan - some thoughts
Save

I have just spent a very pleasant 36 hours in Poznan, here are some of my thoughts.

Unfortunately the city centre is being renovated - Stary Rynek, the main square, is a complete mess: however, when all of the work is finished it will be lovely, but I would not bother with a visit this year.

I arrived late on Saturday: the only ATMs at the airport charged for withdrawal, but luckily the taxi - cost 42zl, 50 with tip - took a CC. ATMs are hard to find, I finally found a Santander ATM half an hour before I left, but most places take a CC.

After checking in I wandered the streets for an hour, then had a nice supper in Verandah, typical central Europe portions, main course was enough for 2 people, ice cream for dessert was first class, and good beer, no idea what it was called.

For breakfast on the Sunday I crossed the Warta to the suburb of Srodka, which has some nice street art, and had an excellent breakfast at the cafe DYN - recommended, good coffee and choice of music.

I wasn't able to join a free walking tour, but there is plenty to see without - I downloaded the itinerary of one of the walks and basically followed that. At 13:30 I made my way to the croissant 'museum' to watch the 1 hour interactive St Martin's croissant demonstration - informative and amusing, and a small croissant at the end: cost 33zl.

For supper I went to Bo, bit of a leg from my hotel but food was fine, even though I had to have the veggie option as they had run out of pork (!). Unfortunately it then began to rain hard (cheeky waiter said "this must feel like home") so I turned in for the night.

Monday morning I checked out early and made my way to Bo again as their breakfast was recommended by a local. I wasn't disappointed, and it had the advantage of being close to the Hotel Mercure, whose coffee shop is supposed to do the best St Martin's croissants in Poznan. Again not disappointed.

Would I go back ? yes, but would try to avoid Sunday as some places were shut.

8 replies to this topic
Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
90 reviews
41 helpful votes
1. Re: Poznan - some thoughts
Save

Thanks for the review. I visited Poznan when there was no renovation in the main square. It's a lovely city.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
31,525 posts
75 reviews
125 helpful votes
2. Re: Poznan - some thoughts
Save

I was in Poznan a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. I went on the narrow gauge steam railway and went to the Museum of Armament in Citadel Park.

I also had trouble with ATM's. There was supposed to be a Santander ATM in the centre but I couldn't find it. Google Maps sent me walking around in circles for 20 minutes! I did find a PKO Bank ATM but they charged to withdraw, but I had no choice so used it because the only other ATM I found was a rip off Euronet one.

Edited: 14 July 2022, 20:32
Wexford Ireland
Level Contributor
22 posts
61 reviews
33 helpful votes
3. Re: Poznan - some thoughts
Save

We are thinking of coming to Poznan late November and are wondering if the renovations mentioned previously have finished. Would it be better to wait till next summer to visit?

Many thanks.

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
4,021 posts
4. Re: Poznan - some thoughts
Save

Unfortunately no, google says the renovation works are planned to continue till the end of 2023.

5. Re: Poznan - some thoughts

This post has been removed at the author's request.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts Edited: 14 September 2022, 15:46

Level Contributor
4 posts
92 reviews
24 helpful votes
6. Re: Poznan - some thoughts
Save

Currently in Poznań and it’s well worth visiting. However the Old Town is undergoing major renovations and it is literally a building site. Tourist info office said it would not be completed until late 2023.

Peterhead, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
64 reviews
51 helpful votes
7. Re: Poznan - some thoughts
Save

Hi! Would you think the building work will still be ongoing during Christmas Market Season? Or would they pause it then as from what I can gather the markets are in old town?

Blaenavon, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
5 helpful votes
8. Re: Poznan - some thoughts
Save

The Christmas market is held on poznan old town central square not to be confused with the area being renovated. It's a large pedestrian area leading up to the theatre.

Edited: 22 September 2022, 03:29
Reply to: Poznan - some thoughts
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Poznan
Recent Conversations
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.