We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport question

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
26 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Airport question

Our plans have changed- originally we were flying into Warsaw and staying a few days before taking the train to Krakow. Now we need to get to Krakow the same day we arrive in Warsaw. If we were to book another flight instead of taking the train, how long should we leave in between arrival and departure for customs and to get to the gate? We will only have carry on bags. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Warsaw
Warsaw
Mazovia Province, Poland
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
8 replies to this topic
Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk, Zakopane, Wroclaw, Poznan, Southern Poland, Northern Poland, Lesser Poland Province
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport question

I would reserve up to 1 hr round trip. Count 30 minutes for the passport control, and I think you should be able to make it directly from there to the airside departure terminal. If not, you will need extra 15-30 minutes for a short airprort trophy run via the baggage claim area, upstairs and back to the departure hall with the security guys on your way.

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
3,788 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport question

"We will only have carry on bags" :-)

As macieii mentioned, 45 minutes gate to gate with passport control and optional custom check. Everything depends how long will be a queue to passport check. Warsaw airport is quite compact.

Mentioned in this post
Warsaw
Warsaw
Mazovia Province, Poland
Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk, Zakopane, Wroclaw, Poznan, Southern Poland, Northern Poland, Lesser Poland Province
Level Contributor
2,592 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport question

Yes, that is what I said.

I am unsure whether what the direct Non-schengen->Schengen transfer path looks like, I have never used it. I remember a security check, but to my knowledge there is no customs check for the carry on luggage.

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
3,788 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport question

For Non-Schengen->Schengen transfer path your cabin luggage will be scanned at security check leaving Non-Schengen zone. One time I bought at Tokyo duty-free airport a bottle of Japanese plum wine and it was confiscated in Warsaw at Non-Schengen->Schengen transfer check.

Mentioned in this post
Warsaw
Warsaw
Mazovia Province, Poland
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
26 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport question

Thank you for your responses! We are flying from Chicago with a layover in Amsterdam before arriving in Warsaw. Im thinking booking another flight to Krakow rather than the train would be better, as Im sure we'll be tired!

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Warsaw
Warsaw
Mazovia Province, Poland
Krakow
Krakow
Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
3,788 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport question

No customs and no passport control then. You will need only few minutes from Amsterdam arrival gate to Krakow departure gate. Just like domestic flights.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Krakow
Krakow
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
12,896 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport question

If your booking on a separate ticket you may miss your Krakow flight if your Chicago to Warsaw flight is delayed. There is no facility to catch the next flight free of charge unless your travelling on a straight through ticket e.g. Chicago to Krakow. Enjoy your stay in Poland.

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Warsaw
Warsaw
Mazovia Province, Poland
Poland
Poland
Europe
Wisconsin
Level Contributor