We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bled or Bohinj??

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
15 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Bled or Bohinj??

We are travelling ffrom Brazil to Slovenia in July, and although I have already made reservations at a hotel in Bled, I am always tempeted to change it and stay in Bohinj instead...

However, we do plan on spening a day in Bled (we want to swim on the lake, take the boat, and perhaps summer toboganing), and it just feels that I will have a hard time parking in Bled if I stay in Bohinj... Is that so???

Mentioned in this post
Bled
Bled
Upper Carniola Region, Slovenia
8 replies to this topic
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,788 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bled or Bohinj??

Finding a parking, specially in weekend days, is really hard in Bled (and expensive). But you can use bus for that short distance. Bled is more lively the Bohinj(ska Bistrica) but later is prettier. And, you can swim also in Lake Bohinj!

Mentioned in this post
Bled
Bled
Lake Bohinj
Lake Bohinj
1,001 Reviews
Bohinjsko Jezero, Slovenia
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
15 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bled or Bohinj??

Thank you Xelas!! I plan on swimming on both!!! But I guess the kids will really enjoy the beach and slide in Bled.

I guess I will keep my reservation for Bled... coming from so far away I do feel a little safer in bigger places (lol, I am always scared of getting lost or not finding food...).

Mentioned in this post
Bled
Bled
Ross-on-Wye, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bled or Bohinj??

Hi

We stayed at Bohinjska Bistrica for a week in September 2016 which is much closer to Bohinj Lake. It was a lovely village, not too touristy but still buzzing with activity.

Bled was overwhelmed in September so I assume In July will be worse. I would advise that Bohinjska Bistrica is a better choice if you are into hiking etc as it is based in the national park itself, with Bled about 20 minutes drive away.

Both are great places, and wherever you stay make sure you visit the other!

Mentioned in this post
Bled
Bled
New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bled or Bohinj??

Hi

we are planning to go to Lake Bled and Lake Bohinj tomorrow. Can we do both in one day? What time should we start in the morning, if we have only one day? I am traveling with my wife and 15 year old kid. And can I buy the ticket at the bus sop in Ljubljana?

Mentioned in this post
Lake Bled
Lake Bled
7,503 Reviews
Bled, Slovenia
Lake Bohinj
Lake Bohinj
1,001 Reviews
Ljubljana
Ljubljana
Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,788 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bled or Bohinj??

As early as possible. You can buy bus ticket at station.

Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bled or Bohinj??

Hi Avanish, how did you get on? We are planning to visit Bled etc Saturday. We will have a hire car, so the thought of hordes of other tourists and trying to get a park doesn't sound like fun. Which are the better options between Bled, Bohinj or Bovec? We start from Zagreb, and will continue towards Vienna.

Mentioned in this post
Bled
Bled
Bovec
Bovec
Slovenian Littoral Region, Slovenia
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Istria, Croatia
Destination Expert
for Istria, Croatia
Level Contributor
9,205 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bled or Bohinj??

You can see much of both Lake Bohinj and Bled in a day...not in huge depth but they are both fabulous. In my opinion Lake Bohinj wins as it's less touristy but then I'm a big wilderness/nature fiend. Lake Bled offers spectacular views, especially of and from the castle.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Bohinj
Lake Bohinj
1,001 Reviews
Bled
Bled
Lake Bled
Lake Bled
7,503 Reviews
Bled, Slovenia
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
15 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bled or Bohinj??

Thanks Chefathome, I have 3 nights booked, so my plan are:

1 day in Bled: walk around the lake, take the boat, swim, Bled castle, summer toboganing.

2 day in Bohinj: go around the lake/swim, Vogel cable car in the afternoon.

On the third day I move on to Ljibliana and I can still do something in the area or stop around Skofja Loka for lunch.

So as you can see I can pretty much stay in either town, but I just wander in terms of logistics which one would be better.

(I am still trying to fit Soca Valley somewhere in my trip but just can´t seem to make it :( )

Mentioned in this post
Soca Valley
Soca Valley
67 Reviews
Bovec, Slovenia
Reply to: Bled or Bohinj??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;