We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 Hours 20mins transfer at Budapest Airport

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
4 Hours 20mins transfer at Budapest Airport

My spouse and I plan to book Wizzair from Glasgow, Scotland to Skopje, Macedonia via Budapest in Nov 2018. There is a transfer time of 4 hours 20mins. Would there be sufficient time to :

(a) collect our baggage at Budapest airport,

(b) check-in for our flight to Skopje &

(c) clear immigration & security ?

Appreciate advice. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Skopje
Skopje
Skopje Region, Republic of Macedonia
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
8 replies to this topic
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
820 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 Hours 20mins transfer at Budapest Airport

I don't have experience of catching a connecting flight in Budapest but I think the principle would be the same wherever.

(a) Enquire if your carrier(s) can check your luggage straight through (from Glasgow to Skopje).

(b) Again if it is the same carrier, check-in for both flights at Glasgow, or check-in on-line.

(c) If you stay 'air side' at Budapest, you won't need to clear immigration or customs.

Budapest isn't that big an airport so you should have loads (too much) time.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Skopje
Skopje
Skopje Region, Republic of Macedonia
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 Hours 20mins transfer at Budapest Airport

You typically could do so three times without any issue in the timeline you've given. Rule of thumb even at a very large airport, is 1:30 is a tight connection but typically doable, 2:00 is a safe connection time. At BUD you can reduce those times by a half hour.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 Hours 20mins transfer at Budapest Airport

Thank you, Gee D. Advice noted.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 Hours 20mins transfer at Budapest Airport

Thank you, cpfoutz. Advice noted.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
889 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 Hours 20mins transfer at Budapest Airport

Hi,

Most serious problem you are facing is how to kill that extra 2.5-3 hours at Budapest airport which is not world famous for means of entertaining passengers with long layovers/delays.

Even the free Wifi is only 2 hours. Other than that just a few cafes/restaurants. If by any chance you can drop off your luggage (electronic registration), there is an aviation museum close to the terminal (7-8 minutes walk)

https://aeropark.hu

where you can enjoy some good ole Soviet planes and there is even a flight simulator available.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 Hours 20mins transfer at Budapest Airport

Thanks Bela, for the tip. Appreciated.

London
Level Contributor
33 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 Hours 20mins transfer at Budapest Airport

The transfer window is more than adequate, assuming the first leg from Glasgow is roughly on time. I presume you are flying with some combination of low cost airlines, e.g. Wizz Air & Ryanair. Note that these airlines never offer through tickets and they will not through check your luggage, nor check you in for your second flight. You must do all of this yourself, online and print boarding cards, or better still, use their telephone apps and get an electronic boarding pass.

Upon arrival you must clear immigration, collect your suitcase, then go upstairs to the departures level and drop off your luggage for your second flight. I would suggest you do this as soon as possible upon arrival (I believe they will accept your suitcase anytime from 3 hours before departure). Once dropped off, the tip to go to the Aeropark is a good one, if you have any interest in aircraft. It's a good collection and literally only a few minutes walk from the terminal building. Make sure you are in the queue for security when departing no more than 1 hour before the flight, in order to enjoy a comfortable transit.

Mentioned in this post
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Aeropark Budapest
Aeropark Budapest
354 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
93 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 Hours 20mins transfer at Budapest Airport

Thanks for the tips, Londonsteve. Much appreciated.

Reply to: 4 Hours 20mins transfer at Budapest Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted