We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4 posts
9 reviews
Currency

Is it wiser to order HUF from a bank in the US, or get them at the airport when arriving in Budapest? I look forward to your responses.

16 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
154 reviews
11. Re: Currency

Profguy-My Cap 1 card is a credit card and charges no international fees. My debit card is a Wells Fargo and it costs me 5 dollars per ATM transaction outside the country. My WF credit card also charges me foriegn transaction fees. So I only use Cap 1 credot and WF for ATM. Either I have a different card than Profguy or his information is not accurate.

Indiana
Level Contributor
892 posts
504 reviews
12. Re: Currency

Greyhound ... I DO NOT have a WF card. I said my travel friends have a WF card and they tell me it does not charge fees. But, I do not have the name of the card they use. Keep in mind, banks offer different cads.

For example, I also have a AMEX Platinum that gives me the best FX rate and charges NO TRANSACTION fees. My wife has an AMEX Gold that charges fees. The reason I do not recommend AMEX is because of limited use and I do pay an annual fee for the card and no ATM access. But, I use it everywhere it is taken since I get great points.

I recommend the Schwab One. I can only verify the Schwab One card features I listed as that is the one I have.

Indiana
Level Contributor
892 posts
504 reviews
13. Re: Currency

Greyhound ... I called my friend and she said this is the card that charges no fees. As you can see it is a business card and may not be available to everyone.

https:/…

Also .. can you share the Capital One no fee credit card name? Also, do you have the name of the no fee debit car from capital one? I looked on their website and could not find either. I know they have been announced, but not sure if they are out yet.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
154 reviews
14. Re: Currency

Profguy- Cap1 Visa Venture credit card. The credit card does not cost me any foriegn transaction fees. I don’t use it in an ATM so I don’t know how that works. I get double points on all transactions and I can use the points in travel related costs after the purchase is made. Also they just paid for my KNOWN TRAVELER NUMBER for 5 years of TSA Pre-Check.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,541 posts
154 reviews
15. Re: Currency

Profguy- my wf credit card is a Cashwise Card. Under fees it states:

Foreign Currency Conversion Fee

3% of each transaction converted to U.S. dollars. Which is why I carry it on foriegn travel as an emergency option.

Also when I am in the state of Florida I use it because I have no recurring charges on it, and if my number is hijacked which happened recently it is not an issue other then to replace the card. It is not a business card so therefore there are more fees attached.

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
5,014 posts
36 reviews
16. Re: Currency

It's pretty well known that virtually no (and I add the word virtually only to be safe) cap one card charges foreign transaction fees. The b of a travel rewards card also offers no foreign transaction fees but virtually every other b of a card charges 3%

Reply to: Currency
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted