We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

City bikes or scooters

San Diego...
Level Contributor
114 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
City bikes or scooters

We are from California and traveling to Budapest. We are wondering if there are any communal bike or scooter services (such as Lime or Bird) with a hop on/hop off option. We know we can rent bikes, however, we are wondering about the kind that you pick up throughout the city and can drop off anywhere. Please let me know.

7 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: City bikes or scooters

I hope not. I was just in San Diego, and like here in Phoenix constantly tripping over the scooters and bikes that were left abandoned.

Edited: 22 July 2018, 06:33
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: City bikes or scooters

Try Mol Bubi:

https://molbubi.bkk.hu/

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: City bikes or scooters

My understanding is bubi only works with a Hungarian phone number.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
114 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: City bikes or scooters

Thank you! Hopefully we can figure a way to use bubi. Appreciate the help!

Budapest
Level Contributor
665 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: City bikes or scooters

I recall that after it started that a number of visitors had used it with varying results. (do a search of this forum to read them for yourself) The problem with Bubi, at least initially, is that they really didn't tailor it for the needs of both locals and visitors. (some might say that they didn't do it for locals) Since many other large cities developed a similar program over the past decade, visitors expected it to be similar and it wasn't. I don't believe anything has changed much, and from my own personal experience, I don't see as many tourists using it as much as they did a couple years ago. The lack of complaints or anything involving Bubi here either confirms it, or optimistically says that things are all good now. A former co-worker was a tester of Bubi and I got a chance to ride it for a bit. The bikes were fashioned to be unique (or not desirable for thieves) and are big and bulky. Okay for cruising but I couldn't imagine traveling on non-official bicycle lanes.

Bubi does have a competitor in Donkey Republic which operates in a number of European cities. Once again I don't see many people using their bikes, but check their website out as they may be more friendly for visitors.

That all said, Budapest public transport is so good in the central districts where most visitors go that using a bicycle is really not necessary.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
114 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: City bikes or scooters

Thank you! That is helpful :)

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: City bikes or scooters

Actually the bike share program is very much like those in other cities. The problem is, it isn't a bike rental like people expect it to be. You get the bike for 30 mins then have to return it. It is exactly like Chicago and new York.

Reply to: City bikes or scooters
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted