We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Viking River Cruise - Romantic Danube

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Viking River Cruise - Romantic Danube

We will be cruising the Danube from Budapest to Nuremberg July, 2012, We will be doing 2 nights pre-cruise in Budapest. Any suggestions on what to see or where to eat dinners? This is our first river cruise, and we are so excited!

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Viking River Cruise - Romantic Danube

Hopes,

Go to the left of the web page and scroll to "Things to Do". It will list the popular tourist sites and activities. Also check this forum for trip reports. I am doing the same cruise in the fall and have already been doing research since we (4) will tour Budapest a few days early on our own. The Budapest cruise extension leaves you pretty much on your own with a Viking concierge available to help. Also check cruise critic and Fodors. Frommers site has a travel forum re: the cruise and one posted has suggested …nationalgeographic.com/travel/…

Have fun, T

PS make sure you come back and post a trip report for us!

Cheshire
Level Contributor
57 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Viking River Cruise - Romantic Danube

Visit (book) a table at the Muzeum restaurant. It is next door to the National Museum.

It's a very different dining experience & I'm sure you will love it.

Old world charm, lovely food & atmosphere.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Viking River Cruise - Romantic Danube

Thanks for the suggestion! Will post when we return!

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Viking River Cruise - Romantic Danube

Thanks so much! Sounds perfect for us!

Cheshire
Level Contributor
57 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Viking River Cruise - Romantic Danube

Visit (book) a table at the Muzeum restaurant. It is next door to the National Museum.

Yes, you will enjoy & be prepared for enormous plates, fine cutlery & service. Opens 6pm till midnight & about 10 mins away from river. I have just returned from Budapest. I'd also do the bus tour to take you to see all the sights, 3 hrs but doing this you can see a lot of places with fantastic views, then you can mark them for a return.

There are lots of people selling the tours, we had a free taxi transfer to the hotel intercontinental, about 5 mins away from the river. There is a tour office there who can advise you.

You will have a lovely time I'm sure! We did.

Kind regards

Cheshire
Level Contributor
57 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Viking River Cruise - Romantic Danube

Yes, you will enjoy & be prepared for enormous plates, fine cutlery & service. Opens 6pm till midnight & about 10 mins away from river. I have just returned from Budapest. I'd also do the bus tour to take you to see all the sights, 3 hrs but doing this you can see a lot of places with fantastic views, then you can mark them for a return.

There are lots of people selling the tours, we had a free taxi transfer to the hotel intercontinental, about 5 mins away from the river. There is a tour office there who can advise you.

You will have a lovely time I'm sure! We did.

Kind regards

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Viking River Cruise - Romantic Danube

Hi Hopes,

What are your interests in terms of sights? And what type of food would you like to explore? We locals can do so much better than Fodor's and those other travel books - so you're in the right place.

More details and we'll get your stay started right.

Jeremy

Heanor, Derbyshire.
Level Contributor
1 post
141 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Viking River Cruise - Romantic Danube

Just returned from this cruise yesterday ! ( 23rd June )Temperature was 31 centigrade throughout with no rain , which was a surprise.. The boat was the Viking Odin which is apparently only three months old.

We enjoyed the trip but the boat had engine trouble which adversely affected the schedule somewhat..This meant less cruising and more coaching ! which is not the best idea , The lift didn't work which was poor for the less able passengers. The movies system in the cabin/stateroom did not work until the sixth day and the TV schedule diary was not kept properly detailed..You do get a printed diary anyway so not really a problem.But why have a good TV system an not input information ?

Water and sanitation failed on the seventh day at 6-30a.m. but was fixed by 1.00 p.m...

Hopefully these glitches will not be present during your trip.

The staff work very hard..

The chef is a legend ( in his own mind ) and the food is not as good as I personally think it should be, and not nearly as good as a modest sea cruise that I have experienced. All food is nouveau cuisine presentation but the deserts and fruit are not up to standard in my personal opinion with spray can cream sometimes present ? .

The breakfast bacon is incinerated by and large and much overcooked by English standards.

Avoid the lobster unless two teaspoons of lobster meat is acceptable to you.. Go for the Chateaubriand instead .

We enjoyed the holiday so this is not a rant or moan, just our experience of last week. The Mozart concert in Vienna was of good quality and we would certainly say to you ...Go!...

I hope that you have a great time..

Redditch
Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Viking River Cruise - Romantic Danube

Went on Viking Odin Romantic Danube cruise in July.The level of service provided was excellent,especially considering the discounted price we paid by booking early.The Odin is a really nice way to cruise,very new and modern.All the staff and crew worked very hard(do they actually sleep?)and the food was a delight although after a week we had to go on a diet on our return to the UK..Well done,Viking....a great experience.

Drogheda Ireland
Level Contributor
120 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Viking River Cruise - Romantic Danube

I would suggest one of the walking tours of the City - some combine a tram ride you will be brought to both the Buda (where your views of Parliment are wonderful) and the Pest side of the Danube 3.30 hrs - well worth the walk - - I have eaten in Ket Szercen and 21 Maygar would recommend both - also a most if you can is the Monument of Shoes - its located across the road from the Parliment building on the banks of the Danube - There is a hop on hop off boat we just got on as it was getting dark - did not hop off its a great way to see the buildings and bridges which are stunning when lit