We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whit Sunday and Whit Monday 2013 (what is there to do?)

Nokia, Finland
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Whit Sunday and Whit Monday 2013 (what is there to do?)

I will be traveling to Budapest late Saturday on May 18th and leaving early on 21st.

Most of the shops and other places will be closed during that time due to Whit Sunday and Whit Monday.

Could someone recommend something to do for me and my friend during Sun-Mon? At least some things to see and photograph, restaurants to go to, anything else??

We are using the public transportation, so the places should be easily accessible.

Any tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Nokia, Finland
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whit Sunday and Whit Monday 2013 (what is there to do?)

I found this thread.... Anyhow I'm still still open for more tips and hits ;)

tripadvisor.ca/…47239749

Edited: 22 April 2013, 20:22
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whit Sunday and Whit Monday 2013 (what is there to do?)

I hope someone answers! I am doing the exact same trip in a few weeks and I had no idea it was going to be a national holiday :(

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,539 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whit Sunday and Whit Monday 2013 (what is there to do?)

The majority (but not all) shops will be closed, public transportation will be running although maybe on a somewhat adjusted schedule but not enough that you would even notice and most restaurants and cafes will be open so no worries on that.

A lot of Budapest most popular attractions are outdoor venues (Hero's Square, Fisherman Bastion etc. etc.) so those will also be accessible to you since it is a Monday most all the museum will be closed but that is normal since they are closed on Monday anyway. As to what and see and do take a look at the top left section Things to do or take a look at the thread in post #1 it may offer you some ideas.

Enjoy your holiday

SEBESZ

Edited: 01 May 2013, 01:48
Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Fisherman's Bastion
Fisherman's Bastion
26,022 Reviews
Budapest, Hungary
Debrecen, Hungary
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whit Sunday and Whit Monday 2013 (what is there to do?)

will stores in the vaci utca will be open? like zara,h&m and all of these

oslo
Level Contributor
35 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whit Sunday and Whit Monday 2013 (what is there to do?)

Me and my wife will be there during the same period. I was able to book a tour of the Parliament building on Sunday, so I presume that most govt. run museums will be open as normal. I was not able to find anything about a holiday on any of the museum's web sites, so I guess they are open. On Monday, most museums are closed anyway. By the way, there is a Palinka festival on until the 19th. Hope we get good weather!

Gilmer, Texas
Level Contributor
48 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whit Sunday and Whit Monday 2013 (what is there to do?)

I don't know how I always manage to book a trip over a holiday but I seem to (despite research)!! I, too, will be in Budapest on Whit Sunday and Monday and I am assuming that the Great Market Hall will be closed? Thanks for all of your valuable information.

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
7. Re: Whit Sunday and Whit Monday 2013 (what is there to do?)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 12:17