We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest Card - don't do it on line !

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest Card - don't do it on line !

Regardless of the merits / value of the Budapest Tourist Cards , I wouldn't try to book it online following my experience in February this year

I tried booking them (2) prior to a trip, but the transaction failed to complete properly. Consequently I did not receive a booking reference number to physically collect the cards on arrival at the airport.

I assumed the transaction had failed and did not retry. I then did without the Cards for our weekend stay. On returning home I found my credit card had been charged with £45. Repeated emailings to the Budapest Tourist Office have not resulted in the promised refund actually happening. I suggest you do not risk booking these online (despite the savings)

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest Card - don't do it on line !

Hello Fin044

That is to bad and do I hope you get your full refund but hopefully you did enjoy your trip

One more note the thread should actually have been named Budapest Card - don't do it at ALL!

As most here feel that it really does not offer you a decent ROI as outlined in the Top questions about Budapest section above on the right under - Should I get the Budapest Card (Budapest Kartya)? Is it a good value?

Best

SEBESZ

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,953 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budapest Card - don't do it on line !

FWIW

When I was coming home from Paris I tried twice to charge a gift at the Duty Free shop. Both attempts failed, so I used a different credit card. When I got home and checked there were the two failed charges but in a "pending" status. Whan I asked the cc company about this they said that a failed charge can stay on the card, pended, for 4 days at which time it is deleted. Is it possible your charges are pended?

Pjk

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budapest Card - don't do it on line !

No, it was actually charged.

I spoke to my credit card company, who said I had to take it up with vendor (Budapest Tourist Info)

I have been 'on the case' since end of Feb, e-mailing them . To be fair, my query was fairly quickly acknowledged and a refund promised by the 'front office' , but they seem to be unable to get the Finance Dept to pay up ! After many chase up emails, I said I would post on TA unless the refund happened within a week ...and the week is up. My TA post has been acknowledged by the front office guy , so maybe he can use this to make the refund happen. ... I promised a favourable update if it did !

Only a small amount I know, but ........

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
37,953 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budapest Card - don't do it on line !

Good luck, then!

Pjk

Buckingham, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budapest Card - don't do it on line !

I am pleased to say that I have now been refunded in full by the Budapest Travel office for the failed transaction.

The posting of a poor review on TA seemed to do the trick , so I am happy to acknowledge that the matter has been satisfactorily resolved !

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
6. Re: Budapest Card - don't do it on line !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2014, 13:16