We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Vienna to Budapest

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
76 reviews
Travel Vienna to Budapest

What is the best and quickest route to get from Vienna to Budapest?

Arriving into Vienna International airport 6.00pm on a Sunday.

Thank you

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,411 posts
128 reviews
1. Re: Travel Vienna to Budapest

Hi LesaJ,

The best way (and quickest) would be to have a car waiting for you. You can have a driver take you, but it can be a bit pricey. Vienna airport to downtown Budapest can be reached in a bit less than 3 hours. Are you flying back out of Viena? Is budget a concern? There are also bus and train options, and if either of them appeal to you - we can share more details. I would prefer the train, but that means you need to take the fast train from the airport to the central Viena train station. The reason I prefer the train is because its real nice and dependable. We have had recent posts about poor bus service.

See following link for ideas, and get back to us with a bit more detail and we'll assist you with specifics.

Best,

Jeremy

www.viennaairport.com/jart/prj3/va/main.jart…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: Travel Vienna to Budapest

HI there

thank you for your assistance

We will be arriving at about 6pm at night and then want to get to Budapest ASAP as we are not really interested in spending time in Vienna although we could if we have to for the night only.

Then we would head to Budpest early in the morning so we can spend 2 nights there.

THen we go to Gyor for a week and then to Szeged for a week to race in the Austrailan National team at the World Dragon Boat championships.

Train sounds like the perfect option for us .

Appreciate your assistance.

Thank you

Lesa

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
31,328 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Travel Vienna to Budapest

IMO the bus would be the most convenient option.

The airport in Vienna is to the east of the city on the way to Budapest and in order to get the train you would have to go into Vienna, find the station, and then out again - the last train with any discounted tickets is at 19:03 so you will be cutting it fine. Tickets from www.oebb.at/en (price from €19) - there is a later train but it is mostly sleeping cars and costs about €36.

There is a direct bus from the airport at 19:45 which will give you time to pass through immigration, get your luggage, have a bit of a rest, etc. www.westbus.at/en and costs €22. You just stick your luggage into the hold and don't need to worry about it until you get there. No need to mess around at railway stations/S-Bahns, etc.

Both bus and train take about 2.5 hours.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: Travel Vienna to Budapest

Wow this is a really interesting option, one i had not thought about. Staying in Vienna for one night then catching the morning train was my Plan B. Perhaps one night in Vienna would be quite nice then a day train or bus to see the views ?

Planning to stay in PEST in Budapest - got any thoughts on that area? Then we will catch the train back to Gyor on Tuesday evening.

You have been a great help

Thank you so much

Lesa

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
31,328 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Travel Vienna to Budapest

It is flat all the way, so no views really. But there is no harm in staying in Vienna for a night - it is on the pricey side, though.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
76 reviews
6. Re: Travel Vienna to Budapest

MMM

Buda sounds betta

:-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
76 reviews
7. Re: Travel Vienna to Budapest

I just also posted this question... is there a hydrofoil or ferry that operates on a sunday from Vienna to Budapest? I think there is one but I can only find that it operates on weekdays which seems really crazy to me particularly in Summer season. We will be there on 13th July

Thanks again

Lesa

8. Re: Travel Vienna to Budapest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 June 2014, 02:11
9. Re: Travel Vienna to Budapest

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 May 2013, 04:35
10. Re: Travel Vienna to Budapest

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 May 2013, 06:10