We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days, starting and ending in Budapest - where to go?

San Diego...
1 post
Save Topic
10 days, starting and ending in Budapest — where to go?

I'll be flying in to Budapest July 1 and leaving July 12 — both days in which I'll be getting in late and leaving early, so they're pretty much out in terms of checking out the city. That leaves me 10 days, starting in (but not limited to) Eastern Europe. Thinking realistically about travel time (I don't want to spend all my time on a train), where else should I go? Vienna is pretty much a shoe-in, because it's so close, but it's less on my personal priority list than, say, Munich, Prague, Berlin, or Krakow. I'm also tempted to do a more southern loop and go to Croatia, since it'll be beautiful in July, but it's my first time in Europe so I do want to hit some of the major spots. Keep in mind I have Hungarian heritage, so I also want to spend a decent amount of time in the homeland. I'm also a 21 year old girl traveling alone, so I'm going to be a cautious traveler (but I'm also going to be seeking good night life/beer/music/etc). I'm trying to be thrifty, but I'm also flying in from Tel Aviv after my free Birthright trip for like $150 roundtrip, so since I'm spending virtually nothing on airfare I could probably spend a bit more on budget flights/train rides between countries.

I'm a bit at a loss to what is feasible given the amount of time I have, but since I'll be alone I have a feeling I'll be bored by more than 2-3 days in a city.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days, starting and ending in Budapest — where to go?

Bumping, as this post encountered a technical glitch. Sorry for the inconvenience, Arielle; hopefully other members will be able to assist you now.

Dan

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,550 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days, starting and ending in Budapest — where to go?

Hello Ariel

Yes with only 10 days you are correct your time will be limited

Let me just say you picked some great cities Krakow, Prague and Budapest are 3 of my favorite in central Europe.

You can easily get to Krakow and should be able to cover most highlights in 2 days by train price from €45 with sleeping berth. Less for a couchette. here is the site for ticketing out of Budapest mav-start.hu/english/index.p... it isn't user-friendly, but here is a guide to help you europetrainsguide.com/Advice...

This would be cheaper than buying on the day, as tickets at this discounted price are limited.

From Krakow work you way back to Prague and spend 2 days as well. From Prague you have the option of either train or bus with the bus being cheaper and actually faster than train to Vienna for 2 days.

From Vienna a short 3 hour ride back to Budapest and where you can spend your last 3-4 days there soaking in all you may have missed.

Although spending 10 days in Budapest and using it as base camp to do various day trips in Hungary may not be a bad idea and something to consider a chance to really get to know the country and people. You can see Sopron, Eger, Pecs, maybe even do an over night to Tokai

Hope this helped any other questions just holler back and we will do our best to answer them for you

Enjoy your trip

SEBESZ

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
3,500 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days, starting and ending in Budapest — where to go?

Since you are coming from Tel Aviv you may be interested in the Grand Synagogue of Budapest. You can go to their website and book online a Tour of the old Jewish area of Budapest. The synagogue and its grounds are very interesting but you must do it as a tour. Also you will be asked for identification. There is also the Shoe Memorial on the Danube River Banks. Go to the Fisherman Grotto as well and see the Hilton Hotel build on the site of a former monastery, some of the monastery was preserved and is part of the hotel lobby. Also visit the market. We will be in Budapest during your time frame but we are a significantly older couple. But quite active. Enjoy your time in Budapest. If you plan to visit Kracow I might suggest you check out www.jewish-guide.pl and contact Tomasz to be your guide.

4. Re: 10 days, starting and ending in Budapest — where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2014, 12:16