We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Construction in hotel area???

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Construction in hotel area???

We were going to stay at the Matyas Hotel Budapest this June but have been told there is a lot of construction going on around the hotel. I was told it would be pretty noisy and dusty from this construction. Does anyone know how long this will be going on? I was told the City Hotel on Vacsi utca might be a better choice since it is away from the construction and everything is in walking distance. Could someone get back to me if this is correct?

Thank you, Nora

Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Construction in hotel area???

Hi Nora,

The hotel is situated in the heart of the city right off of the Erszebet Bridge. And yes, unfortunately there is a lot of construction on the main road Szabad Sajto that sits about 100 yards in front of the hotel. They are completely changing/upgrading the current road and area so the public transportation can be better accessed and limit traffic back-ups. Now, a lot of the construction is NOT immediately in front of the hotel area, but rather down the road a bit another 75ish yards. If you must stay at this hotel, I would request a room on the backside or south side of the hotel. But....the hotel sits in the heart of the city - I would expect noise throughout from traffic, that is unless they have soundproofed the walls and triple-glazed the windows. Have you read reviews about the property and potential for noise?

Great location, yes. But my guess is noise which may be increased some by the construction.

Best,

Jeremy

Edited: 12 May 2013, 19:34
Budapest, Hungary
Destination Expert
for Budapest
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Construction in hotel area???

Hi Nora,

I went close to the hotel today to have lunch at Taverna Dionysos, which was as good as always. Anyway, there is more construction than I thought - and it pretty much surrounds the hotel on all sides. The major road work I described above will not be much of an issues, as the work is not being done immediately in front of the hotel.

However, both side streets are being repaved along with areas in front of the hotel, and the old parking lot immediately across the street from the hotel is now torn up and has construction equipment everywhere. The signs say the work in the parking lot will be complete in 2014. I did not see any signs regarding the side streets, but I assume they will not be done this month due to what looked to me - a lot of work to be done.

In summary - there is active construction work being done on all sides of the hotel building. The one item I do not know is how disruptive the construction will be to your enjoyment and sleep. The hotel is in the heart of the city - and in a fairly noisy location due to traffic. I assume the construction will only add to this daily noise.

Best,

Jeremy

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Construction in hotel area???

Thank you for your information. I have decided to book a room at the City Hotel on Harsfa Street 51, since my friend told me it is located in a very convenient location and is a very nice hotel. I would rather not have to deal with construction everyday of my 2 weeks there.

UK
Level Contributor
349 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Construction in hotel area???

Does anyone know if the area next to Parlament Hotel is affected? I still have the option to cancel and rebook if needed.

Thanks

S

5. Re: Construction in hotel area???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 May 2014, 12:18