We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to travel to Kuressaare and Riga from Tallinn

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
Best way to travel to Kuressaare and Riga from Tallinn

Three adults will be staying in Tallinn for the month of June but plan to spend several days in Kuressaare, then travel to Riga. What's the best way to do this? Options seem to be rent a car or take bus/ferry combination. From research on internet, there once was a ferry that traveled from Kuressaare to Riga. Does anyone know if there still is one? What's your best suggestion on travel both from Tallinn to Kuressaare, then on to Riga, and back to Tallinn. Would appreciate any advice.

Tartu, Estonia
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
66 reviews
23 helpful votes
1. Re: Best way to travel to Kuressaare and Riga from Tallinn

Your best bet is to the the direct bus/ferry combination from Tallinn straight to Kuressaare, but if you were to rent a car, your time spent on the island could be enriched further. There are many spots that you would not reach by the infrequent public transport. I remember there being a ferry that went to Cape Kolka, (nowhere near Riga) but there is definitely not a ferry going from Saaremaa to Riga now, unless it's a part of a Baltic cruise or maybe a private hire. On your way out, you can get a ferry to Pärnu from Saaremaa, and there are frequent and quick buses from here to Riga. I would book very soon though as the ferries get booked quickly in the summer months.

gxp
St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
32 reviews
39 helpful votes
2. Re: Best way to travel to Kuressaare and Riga from Tallinn

Just to clarify, the ferry from Saremaa to Pärnu is the same one as from Tallinn to Kuressaare. You cross from Kuivastu to Virtsu on the mainland and use a combination bus/ferry for the trip. The ferry is not direct to Pärnu. The bus schedule is at

www.bussireisid.ee/index.html?timm=1272953271

Edited: 04 May 2010, 14:12
Tartu, Estonia
7 posts
3. Re: Best way to travel to Kuressaare and Riga from Tallinn

i should advise that you should visit Hiiumaa also. My route would be:

Tallinn - Haapsalu (a nice seaside town) - ferry to hiiumaa - spend 2 days in hiiumaa - ferry from hiiumaa to saaremaa - spend 3-4 days at saaremaa - ferry to the mainland - visit pärnu beach for 1 day and then head down to riga.

I would advise that you rent a car, easy and quite cheap. Even better rent a motorcycle, if you have the nessesary licence. Because motorbikes will not have any trouble getting on the ferry, so you dont have to book ahead or be at the port 2h before.

Estonia
Level Contributor
501 posts
42 reviews
14 helpful votes
4. Re: Best way to travel to Kuressaare and Riga from Tallinn

There is no Ferry, used to be 2 summers ago from Sõrve säär (40 km south to peninsula in Saaremaa to Ventspils in Latvia.

There might be change to take ferry to Ruhnu (island far away) and from there slim change to get to Latvia. Don't recommend, sea might be rough and you may stuck on island for longer time.

If you rent car then consider Fridays and Sundays there might be long lines, other days ok. By bus to Pärnu and from there with Eurolines to Riga.

Peace of cake!

5. Re: Best way to travel to Kuressaare and Riga from Tallinn

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2010, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Estonia