We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need a brief about hiking in Tatra National Park

3 posts
Save Topic
Need a brief about hiking in Tatra National Park

Greetings,

I am planning a trip to Tatra National Park this summer.

We might be 6-18 people. Most having some kind of -flat terrain- hiking, navigation, survival and first aid experience.

My intent is to organise a pleasant hike for friends and ensure that we do have a solid plan before going over 1000km. Altho they are not needy, I am wondering what rules do we have to follow while being in the park?

Date: Our general plan is to go there his summer (preferred) or early autumn.

Approx. Timeline: For the first time we'd like to start hike at Friday morning and get back to our vehicles by Sunday 10am.

Equipment: Rugs, Carinthia sleeping bags, hiking shoes, full kit of gore-tex rain clothing is at our disposal. Walkie-talkies if required.

So what is left - some basic, but important questions left to answer:

- What trail would you offer us to go for that period of time?

- Is it a must to sleep in hostels? Can you just camp where ever you see fit? Assuming it's solid ground and such. Is there any camp sites you can use?

- As a newbie, am I missing something important here?

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Carinthia
Carinthia
Austrian Alps, Austria
9 replies to this topic
Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
4,033 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need a brief about hiking in Tatra National Park

It is a must to sleep in hostels. No camping allowed. No camp sites to use

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk, Zakopane, Wroclaw, Poznan, Southern Poland, Northern Poland, Lesser Poland Province
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need a brief about hiking in Tatra National Park

If it's your first time in the mountains I suggest you go elsewhere. If you're lucky and the weather is fine, you'll be more less fine. If the weather is bad (rainy, stormy, windy) - it will not be fun for you, Tatras in the rain are nasty and far from being a pleasant hike for beginners.

Unless of course you stick to valleys, but if this is the case... go elsewhere.

Regarding hostels, double check if there are beds available. If not, be prepared for nights on the floor.

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need a brief about hiking in Tatra National Park

What are the arguments of going elsewhere? The weather?

What do you people think of this route: https://mapa-turystyczna.pl/route/7976

Sleeping on floor is no issue.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk, Zakopane, Wroclaw, Poznan, Southern Poland, Northern Poland, Lesser Poland Province
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need a brief about hiking in Tatra National Park

The red trail behind Kasprowy Wierch is closed, and even if it's open, it still wil be THE most difficult trail in Polish mountains, not recommended for inexperienced people, in particular with larger backpacks. To be avoided in difficult weather conditions (google "Orla Perć")

Other than that, see my remarks about the shelters, both Morskie Oko and Dolina 5 Stawów are the shelters where sometimes there is not even place on the floor, people sleep outside on the ground.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 18:32
Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need a brief about hiking in Tatra National Park

Regarding the arguments about going elsewhere:some of the trails in Tatras are difficult. Hiking there with backpacks is even more difficult, or even dangerous both for you and for other people - if you're unexperienced.

I know you feel brave and strong, but believe me, a week ago I was there watching at least 2 different rescue operations on trails considered to be (slightly) easier than yours.

You've been warned.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 18:34
Poland
Level Contributor
2,758 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need a brief about hiking in Tatra National Park

The trail between Świnica and Zawrat (part of the route you have marked) is closed because of a recent major rockfall. The place is still an active rockfall zone, with unstable rocks hanging overhead and small pieces falling off now and then. Probably it will remain closed for the whole year. You won't be able to hike from Kasprowy Wierch to Dolina Pięciu Stawów (Five Lakes) this season by legal hiking trails. There is an illegal path via Slovakia (Liliowe - Zawory - Gładka Przełęcz) but you'd need to know Tatras really well to do it and it's, well, illegal.

The Orla Perć (you have included parts of it in your route) is something close to Alpine via ferrata. Accessible for fit persons, provided they have absolutely no acrophobia, but you don't want to do it with a big backpack. Alternatively you can modify your route a little to make it easier (while still spectacular). Instead of taking parts of Orla Perć, you can start from Murowaniec hostel via Zawrat to Five Lakes and then on your way back from Five Lakes to Murowaniec via Krzyżne. Both are high passes with spectacular views but there are not as technical as Orla Perć, so you should be able to hike them with a big backpack (only the final part before Zawrat may be a little challenging).

Edited: 07 June 2018, 18:45
Mentioned in this post
Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
665 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need a brief about hiking in Tatra National Park

"Instead of taking parts of Orla Perć, you can start from Murowaniec hostel via Zawrat to Five Lakes and then on your way back from Five Lakes to Murowaniec via Krzyżne."

I would definitely not consider Zawrat for only mostly-flat-terrain experience. The other part about returning through Krzyżne should be OK, but then not starting from Kasprowy (since there is no other easy way to get to 5 Lakes), if your fitness is good then a long day like this could work https://mapa-turystyczna.pl/route/zrmf , or sleeping in 5 Lakes (see Macieii's warning about 5 Lakes and Morskie Oko shelters during the holidays, though. In general, is your hiking part of a bigger trip to Poland? If so, it'd be largely beneficial to reorder the activities such that you're in the Tatras on weekdays rather than weekend).

As already said, in the Park you can only sleep in shelters (likely not on beds as all would be taken already), but alternative is a camping in Zakopane - in this case you need to do separate hikes starting from the bottom, but you can have lighter backpacks as part of your stuff, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, can stay at the camping. Both options are reasonable: either hike with full backpack but have benefits of smaller height differences starting from a shelter, or sleep on the camping and have the hikes more tiring but with lighter backpack.

mapa-turystyczna.pl doesn't indicate trail difficulties, see online maps mapytatr.net/PRODUKTY/…zach_i.html (Western Tatras) and mapytatr.net/PRODUKTY/…wys_ii.htm (High Tatras) - I also recommend those when you buy paper maps when you're here - to see difficulty pictograms next to each trail (legend in English at the bottom). If a trail has the highest difficulty (scrambling trail), you should cross it out completely - or at very most 1) make it an optional detour where part of the group can stay, and 2) ask here about our opinion before choosing it. If a trail has the middle difficulty (the pictogram of a man on a steep slope), it is fine to take but if it has chains (yellow/orange dots) you should choose it for going only upwards (so that you can retreat safely if someone from the group doesn't feel secure) and/or ask here about our opinion. If a trail has the low difficulty (man on a flat slope, or the stroller), they will be totally easy but of course not all of them would be as interesting (many are, though). Western Tatras are generally easier, so it will be easier to choose an easy trail there - but of course High Tatras are more scenic due to being high ;)

All those is assumed in case of good weather, in bad weather of course like already said one should stay in the valleys, even the experienced ones.

Back about the Krzyżne part, if you choose this I would only take it in the direction shown i.e. from Five Lakes to the north - to again make the harder half as going upwards, so that you are fine to retreat at any moment.

Edited: 07 June 2018, 19:25
Mentioned in this post
Morskie Oko
Morskie Oko
1,955 Reviews
Krakow, Poland
Poland
Poland
Europe
Zakopane
Zakopane
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need a brief about hiking in Tatra National Park

Thank you for your reply.

At this moment I don't have enough time to dig deep into researching everything you have posted above, I'll get back to it after a few days.

@macieii thank you for info on the situation. I'll search for an easier trail.

Briefly, our goal is to make it a weekend trip. Our hike should begin at Friday morning and end at Saturday evening because we have 12+ hour journey back home. Plan B - our hike could end at Sunday 10am.

We'd like to visit some high ground for beautiful scenery, so all things considered - going with the backpacks sound like a better idea just because we'd travel further. I'll investigate if it's possible to do separate hikes on Friday and Saturday by leaving most of the stuff at camping site, of course without sabotaging the idea of us seeing beautiful landscape.

Either way, I'll post possible routes here so you could spread your wisdom.

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Need a brief about hiking in Tatra National Park

there is good giude in English przewodnik-po-gorach.pl/product/…

Reply to: Need a brief about hiking in Tatra National Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted