We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Picton to Omaka?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
125 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Picton to Omaka?

We'll be visiting Picton on a cruise ship in December. We'd like to visit the Omaka Aviation Heritage center, then have lunch at Brancott, and then return to our ship.

Can anyone advise on the best way to do this (other than renting a car)? Is there public transit between the cruise port and the aviation center, and does it run on Sunday? If we take public transit to Omaka, will be be able to call a taxi to take us on to Brancott, and later from Brancott back to Picton?

Or, would we be better off hiring a car service with a driver for a set number of hours?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Picton
Picton
Marlborough Region, New Zealand
6 replies to this topic
Auckland Central...
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Picton to Omaka?

Kia Ora, you will be able to do a cruise excursion that takes you to Omaka and will also include a winetour with all transport included. It is always best to book an actual cruise excursion either booked through the Cruise Company or a travel/tour company that specilised in Cruise ship tours as they will work with the cruise timetable and guarantee to get you back to the ship on time.

Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Picton to Omaka?

Sadly that sounds too much like a cruise line (or tour company) response! The reviews for the cruise excursions are bad, so along with the other correspondent I too am looking for useful advice on how to do the trip independently.

Blenheim, New...
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Picton to Omaka?

Public transport is pretty bad in and around Blenheim, and I guess taxis and private drivers are going to be busy on cruise ship days.

It is quite expensive, but this could be a option, although it does miss Brancott.

www.escapetomarlborough.co.nz/hoponhopoff

There are also several companies which do small group or private tours... But I doubt they would be cheap. Should be able to book one to fulfil your itinerary, here are a couple I found by googling. I have zero experience with either company.

https://www.highlightwinetours.co.nz.

https://www.bubblygrape.co.nz

Mentioned in this post
Blenheim
Blenheim
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
5,234 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Picton to Omaka?

Just maybe there is some like minded people on your cruise.

Do a roll call on Cruise critic which is a website for people taking the same cruise as you. Maybe you could organise a minibus and have say 8 couples do the trip together to cut down the costs.

Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Picton to Omaka?

Escape to Marlborough Hop on hop off will take you there

Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from Picton to Omaka?

Escape to Marlborough Hop on hop off only $69.50nz from Picton isite and on the way back you can hop off at celler doors and do some wine tastings and then back to Picton

Mentioned in this post
Picton
Picton
Reply to: Best way to get from Picton to Omaka?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted