We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transportation in Picton

Level Contributor
142 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Public transportation in Picton

We will be spending a couple of days in Picton and then getting the ferry to Wellington. Should we keep the car until the day we get the ferry or will be OK without it for a couple of days? We will be touring the west coast for a week or so so probably will have done the sights just outside of Picton.

Are there buses / public transportation in Picton? I have tried looking online but not much luck.

Many TIA

3 replies to this topic
Te Anau
Destination Expert
for South Island, Te Anau
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transportation in Picton

I think you should keep the car. I don't think Picton has a local bus service, and you could circumnavigate the town in an hour.

I'm sure you'll find somewhere worth driving to.

Level Contributor
9,263 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transportation in Picton

Picton is tiny! So don't expect public transport options. Not knowing what you want to do while there, any Marlborough Sounds tour will depart from Picton and any Wine Tasting tour will have an option to pick you up at Picton.

Compare prices of rental car options. Sometimes it's cheaper to keep the car as one rental (regardless of taking the car on the ferry or getting a separate car for North Island), rather than to have two separate car rentals. Then again, having a car in Wellington may prove to be a hindrance.

We had a car that was allowed on the ferry and it was cheaper to keep it during our time in Picton while we spent a night on Queen Charlotte Track. And then kept it while in Wellington, although we booked a motel with free parking for customers - than to have two separate rentals.

You have to do several dummy bookings to see what works for you.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
36,922 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transportation in Picton

Normally with 2 nights in Picton you will either be doing a wine tour (with car or by tour??) or taking a mail boat/water taxi into Queen Charlotte Sound or doing the Queen Charlotte Drive - so without knowing what you plan to do in Picton it is hard to answer your question. Picton itself is TINY!!

Reply to: Public transportation in Picton
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted