We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two day track timings

1 post
Save Topic
Two day track timings

Please help me review this itinerary and advise:

Day1

Willington to Picton - morning Ferry (not booked yet)

Boat from Picton to Endeavour Inlet, then walk to Punga Cave Resort. Stay the night

Day2.

Walk from Punga Cave Resort to Lochmara Resort (how long will this take?). I am trying to avoid booking the expensive Portage Resort Hotel unless I really need to.

Day3

Boat from Lochmara Resort to Picton (need to be back around 10am

Please let me know if there are better ways to do 2 day track in similar times in this area.

Mentioned in this post
Picton
Picton
Marlborough Region, New Zealand
The Portage Resort Hotel
The Portage Resort Hotel
394 Reviews
Picton, New Zealand
4 replies to this topic
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,428 posts
456 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two day track timings

nope, dont do punga to lochmara. that is just too far and imo the least interesting portion of the trip.Punga cove is a great place to stop, so is lochmara.

but its over 30km in a day on undulating area.

have you considered starting at ship cove, going to furneaux lodge stay there, and then punga and boat back from there, it really depends on your fitness and how far you want to walk.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,876 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two day track timings

I agree with Poppy that Ships Cove to Punga would be a better walk. There is nice accommodation at Endeavour Inlet too.

Level Contributor
26 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two day track timings

I also concur with the above comments . Much more to see and Probably 8 hour less walking

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,719 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two day track timings

The first section from Ships Cove is a bit of a gut buster!! The day we did it, it had been raining for a while so it was quite slippery.

There are 6 in our group of golden oldies (5 have the Gold Card) The climb out of Ships Cove had most swearing it was their last tramp. However a couple of single malts in Furneaux Lodge had us convinced it really wasn't that bad.

This year we had planned to walk from Punga Cove. However the Torea Saddle at over 20kms is the toughest section of the track. We are now walking Portage to Mistletoe Bay, staying in reasonable priced cabins then to Anikiwa and boat to Picton.

The advantage of the QCT is that the boat fare is all inclusive and therefore quite flexible. You can break up the track and walk some legs, boat others and the fare is the same.

Mentioned in this post
Furneaux Lodge
Furneaux Lodge
294 Reviews
Picton
Picton
Reply to: Two day track timings
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted