We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive To Giesen and Havelock

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
126 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Drive To Giesen and Havelock

Hi All. We will be in Picton for a day whilst on a cruise in September. Have booked an Avis hire car so that we can have lunch and do some tasting at Giesen. How long should I allow to get from Picton to Giesen and then to return to Picton via Havelock and Queen Charlotte Drive.

Will need to make sure we have enough time to return the car and get back to the ship.

Mentioned in this post
Picton
Picton
Marlborough Region, New Zealand
1 reply
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
4,925 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive To Giesen and Havelock

I would think that this is perfectly doable assuming you have the full day and that you can pick up a car quickly.

I would reverse your journey and do Queen Charlotte Drive first - it's a slow and windy route and you may well want to stop a few times for photos. When you then get to the winery you will know how long you have to get back to the ship - it's not far but you can manage your lunch and tasting better than trying to race down the QCD.

On the full NZ forum there is an FAQ on wine tasting and it includes a post by me on tasting in Renwick (where Giesen is). We did 4 wineries and Giesen was the least interesting, so you might want to consider your options.

Reply to: Drive To Giesen and Havelock
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted