We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most scenic stretch of the Queen Charlotte Sound

Surrey
Level Contributor
90 posts
553 reviews
Save Topic
Most scenic stretch of the Queen Charlotte Sound

Hi there. My husband and I have one full day for hiking on the track. We are both fit and good walkers who typically walk around 5/6 km per hour on relatively flat ground. Which part/s of the track are the most scenic? We've been told that a lot of the walking is in forest with very limited water views. Where would you recommend we walk to and from? Thanks a lot.

4 replies to this topic
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,416 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most scenic stretch of the Queen Charlotte Sound

i love ship cove with the information panels, and in the four times ive been there we have seen dolphins. my favourite walk is around endeavour inlet i.e. from furneaux lodge to punga cove.

Level Contributor
26 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most scenic stretch of the Queen Charlotte Sound

I agree the Furneaux lodge to Punga walk is very manageable in four hours and gives you plenty of vantage points to see the water, as well as the old Furneaux lodge homestead and Punga cove resort to dine etc

Mentioned in this post
Furneaux Lodge
Furneaux Lodge
294 Reviews
Marlborough Region, New Zealand
Punga Cove Resort
Punga Cove Resort
392 Reviews
Endeavour Inlet, New Zealand
Surrey
Level Contributor
90 posts
553 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Most scenic stretch of the Queen Charlotte Sound

We'd quite like a full day walk. Do you think it is feasible for us to walk from Ship Cove to Punga Cove in one day, taking into account the ferry times? I think this is around 20km. Will we have good views for a decent part of the walk rather than just walking in the tree line? Cheers

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,416 posts
455 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most scenic stretch of the Queen Charlotte Sound

No I think it would just be a total rush to walk from ship cove to punga cove in a day and you wouldnt get to enjoy the area and scenery. Coming out of ships cove it is a steep walk. As ship cove is the most northern point you will not arrive by water taxi until late, and the pick up from punga will be mid afternoon.

Perhaps do the walk from furneaux to punga cove. Some of the trips may visit ship cove first so see if this is the case and then you can do both.

Reply to: Most scenic stretch of the Queen Charlotte Sound
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted