We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in California

Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
2 weeks in California

Hi. I am planning to do a roadtrip mid October from San Francisco to San Diego via the Pacific Coast Highway and planning to cover Big Sur, Monterey, Cambria, LA, San Diego, Solvag and looking to visit Disneyland & any of the Studios in LA. I will be renting a car and 2 of us will be travelling. Appreciate any suggestions you may have on what to do, where to eat/ stay. I am pretty flexible and don't plan to stay in posh hotels for this trip. Also is there a way to cover places from SF to LA/San Diego and then do a roadtrip to Seattle? What would be the ideal route.

Thanks for the help <3

Best Seller
Napa and Sonoma Wine Country Tour
2,378 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Best Seller
San Francisco Super Saver: Muir Woods...
1,830 Reviews
from US$126.00*
Special Offer
Muir Woods, Giant Redwoods, and...
2,652 Reviews
from US$61.20*
US$68.00
2 replies to this topic
San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
21,231 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: 2 weeks in California

>>Also is there a way to cover places from SF to LA/San Diego and then do a roadtrip to Seattle?<<

Not within two weeks, in my opinion. The road trip from SF to Seattle would take about 2 weeks on its own.

Two weeks is pretty much the minimum for a California road trip. A common itinerary is: SF > Yosemite > Monterey > a night on the coast (including a drive through Big Sur) > LA > San Diego.

See this Top Question (on the right, all of them viewable in a full web browser): https:/…California.Itineraries.html

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,768 posts
123 reviews
2. Re: 2 weeks in California

I sure hope that Hwy 1 is reopened on time so that you can drive through Big Sur. Keep an eye on this forum or the CalTrans website.

The fall can be lovely along the coast and in San Francisco so it's busy busy busy. You need lodging reservations everywhere. Each city forum has its own forum page and its own Top Questions on the right side of that page.

Reply to: 2 weeks in California
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted