We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car Insurance for a non US resident

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Rental Car Insurance for a non US resident

Hi,

I am Indian national, UAE resident, holding UAE driving license, with International Driving Permit issued in UAE. My self & my wife are visiting California in July 2018 for 15 days. The objective is tourism and also to meet our son who is studying in Los Angeles.

I would like to find a way to buy a travel insurance to cover our rental car trips in the US. Last year we spent a lot on insurance purchased from Car Rental companies at the counter.

Can I also get buy a policy to cover my Son if he desires to drive (he has a learning permit in the US, he is trying to get his drivers license.

Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
6 replies to this topic
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
68,769 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car Insurance for a non US resident

I don't think any rental company will allow a driver without a real full drivers license. A Learners Permit is not enough.

There is car rental information relevant to overseas visitors in the Top Questions on this page and in the Top Questions on the Road Trips page (more overseas visitors on the Road Trip forum.)

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,619 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car Insurance for a non US resident

You need to go to the UAE site of Avis, Alamo, Hertz, National or Budget and you should get a rate that includes insurance- in other words your insurance and fees are bundled in to the quote do not ask or add this at the counter that is the most rookie mistake to make -- two things to cover are Collision and liability -- companies like rentalcars.com also offer this but I recommend directly booking with the car companies

Secondly DO NOT bring up your son who is in the US -- Unless he is 25 , he may have to pay for an underage fee and and it is ridiculous to ask for a rental car for a kid with a driving permit. Please don't even go there

If you want to drive that is fine --do it the way I suggested -- don't let your son drive

I don't know about your DL from the UAE. If the words on the license are in English -- your name, address, validity etc there is no need to get an International Permit

Thirdly join the frequent renter program of Hertz avis and national -- well the company you book with and use that to avoid dealing with agents at the airport

Edited: 08 June 2018, 21:56
Mentioned in this post
Alamo Inn & Suites
Alamo Inn & Suites
301 Reviews
Anaheim, CA
Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
7,012 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car Insurance for a non US resident

Insurance is expensive. You can purchase third-party options through travel insurance companies, but you have to make sure they cover every cost, and won't flake on things like administrative fees or dimunation of value charges that are often only covered by the insurance provided by the rental car company. For foreign visitors, there are typically services that bundle insurance into the cost of the car and save a bit that way. The most expensive option is typically always going to be showing up at the counter and getting the insurance added on.

Your son's age may be an issue. I wouldn't bother with this if he's under 25. It's not worth the cost and hassle.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
57,619 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car Insurance for a non US resident

By the way if this is how your license looks

http://ahmedtawfik.com/C/license.png

You Do NOT need an international driving Permit -- Not sure why you needed one since this is your second trip here as you say --

Manhattan Beach...
Level Contributor
4,691 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car Insurance for a non US resident

As previously suggested, I too would get the insurance from the rental car company's website in your home country. One other thing though that you should be aware of is that some of the higher prestige or executive credit cards provide you with a large amount of collision and liability insurance, for free, when you rent. We rented overseas and I had one of my traveling companions use their American Express Gold Card to pay for the rental, and then we both registered as permitted drivers. Just by using that credit card we also got, for free, collision and liability coverage. If we had used that card, and had purchased the rental car company's insurance, then the free insurance from American Express would have disappeared.

Level Contributor
5,992 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car Insurance for a non US resident

you must reserve a car in advance. If you walk up to a rental car counter you will pay a higher rate and extra for insurance. as a non-resident, you get a bundle price that includes insurance. You will not pay extra for insurance

Reply to: Rental Car Insurance for a non US resident
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted