We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manzanita Lake/ lassen national park

Aliso Viejo...
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Manzanita Lake/ lassen national park

We are planning a trip this summer- and have a cabin, I am not able to see a map of the whole area, any ideas? is there swimming near by? Is fishing worth a day? Fly or regular? Also, looking at activities outside the park for a day- wineries I have anything else worth the drive? We will be there fro almost a week so besides hiking looking to do other things. Son, 12 included in activities. Bum Pass Hell Trail looks to be closed- and that was mentioned as an easy hike. looking for 3 miles tops on any hike suggestions that are easy- to moderate. ( I am not a hiker but enjoy what nature has to offer) Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. THANK YOU, j

2 replies to this topic
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
591 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manzanita Lake/ lassen national park

i drove and hiked to the top of this you will be rewarded with a multicolor landscape below

https:/…hiking_cinder_cone2.htm

Also, use to combine this iwth a visit to lava beds national monument. In case you like to hike in lava tubes.

as for other things maybe go visit redding and see that bridge

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manzanita Lake/ lassen national park

So you have a almost a week in the Manzanita cabins? Nice.

For fishing: Manzanita is great for catch and release fly fishing. Other lakes in the park for fishing would be Butte Lake and the hike to Snag Lake in the parks northeast sector. Nearby Hat Creek is also a well know fly fishing spot. If you manage to drive through Chester, do stop in at Lake Almanor Fly Fishing and talk to Tom, the owner, who has guided in the area for over 20 years and has a wealth of knowledge.

Other ideas and things to do:

Subway Cave - a lava tube near Old Station, bring a flashlight and a sweatshirt (its cold inside) to explore.

Burney Falls - a nice day trip, a short hike to the falls and nice swimming at nearby Lake Britton.

Devils Kitchen - a thermal feature hike near the Warner Valley entrance. Maybe arrange for horseback riding at Drakesbad Guest Ranch for the same day.

Lake Almanor - a great water sports and swimming lake with affordable boat rentals. Pretty good fishing too if you know where to go. Good day trip.

Kings Creek Picnic Area - on the 89 corridor through the park, its just beautiful and there are a bunch of short hikes from there.

Summit Lakes Trailhead - hike to one of the other lakes up there, all swimmable.

Caribou Wilderness Area - short hikes to swimmable lakes

Enjoy!

Edited: 09 June 2018, 13:41
Reply to: Manzanita Lake/ lassen national park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted