We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Itinerary help

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Honeymoon Itinerary help

Hi all!

Myself and my new wife are planning our honeymoon to the west coast in August/September starting and ending in L.A with road trips in between. Here is our 1st draft of an itinerary -

23rd August - arrive in L.A

24th - L.A

25th - L.A

26th - pick up car, drive to Phoenix, Arizona

27th - Drive to Grand Canyon

28th - Grand Canyon

29th - Drive to Las Vegas - drop off car

30th - Las Vegas

31st - Las Vegas - pick up 2nd car/campervan, drive to Death Valley

1st - Drive to Yosemite

2nd - Drive to San Francisco, drop car off

3rd - San Francisco

4th - San Francisco

5th - Pick up 3rd car, Drive pacific coast highway

6th - Pacific Coast Highway

7th - Pacific Coast Highway

8th - Arrive in L.A, drop car off. Fly Home

Questions we have are:-

1. Are the times in each destination enough and driving times achievable?

2. What would you change?

3. Where do you recommend we stop on our drives?

Also we would love suggestions for places to stay/eat along the way, we are thinking motels along the drives, airbnbs in L.A and San Francisco and a hotel in Las Vegas. Our total budget for our trip excluding flights is £5000.

Thanks in advanced!

15 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
58,152 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary help

Yosemite seems too short. Why campervan ?

Why Phoenix. Most would drive to lake havasu or kingman for a night and then head to GCNP

There is no PCH on tbe SF drive until you hit Santa Barbara so look for highway 1

Each city or area forum has top questions on what to see where to stay and eat

Edited: 10 June 2018, 00:42
Southern California
Level Contributor
15,231 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary help

I would not stay in Death Valley in August, temps will be around 110-115F. Most RV companies do not permit their units to stay overnight in DV during summers. Maybe do a drive through early in the morning.

Also agree, why Phoenix? Try and get a hotel room at Grand Canyon, or maybe nearby Tusayan.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary help

Not set on Phoenix, just saw it on another road trip itinerary. Will discount it and have a look at your other suggestions, thanks :) Is Kingman on the historic route 66?

We could skip staying in Death Valley and have an extra night at Yosemite.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,244 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary help

While this is all possible, it is a lot of time in the car driving places and not that much time actually enjoying the destinations. I would drop either Yosemite or the Grand Canyon and definitely drop Death Valley. I would also fly Las Vegas to SFO (can be $59 pp on Southwest Airlines with a free checked bag for each of you). If you want to keep Yosemite, you could drive SF-Yosemite-Monterey-Pismo-LA.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,030 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary help

I would keep one car for the entire trip. And I would try to rearrange things so that you are not in Yosemite over the Labor Day holiday weekend.

Use the Top Questions on the right side of this forum and the right side of each destination forum. There are some valuable tips offered by folks who know and love that destination.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,244 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary help

SO, could be:

23rd August - arrive in L.A

24th - L.A

25th - L.A

26th - pick up car, drive to Kingman, Arizona

27th - Drive to Grand Canyon

28th - Grand Canyon

29th - Drive to Las Vegas - drop off car

30th - Las Vegas

31st - Fly Las Vegas to SF

2nd - SF

3rd - SF

4th - Rent car and drive to Yosemite and stay in Yosemite Valley Lodge or Half Dome Village tent cabin

5th - Yosemite

6th - Drive to Monterey

7th - Drive Highway 1 Big Sur to Pismo Beach

8th - Drive Pismo to LA to drop car off. Fly Home

Still a lot of travel time, but you hit all your points. You could do only 1 night in Grand Canyon and add that to LA or SF. The key is to avoid Yosemite during Labor Day weekend.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 01:29
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
70,030 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary help

Will Hwy 1 be reopened in early September? If not, then SF - Monterey (2 nights, layover day to drive Hwy 1) - Yosemite (exit via South Entrance to visit Mariposa Grove) - L.A.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
3,244 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary help

PNWF is correct. I'd go Cambria to Yosemite and then down to LA perhaps. Only because Big Sur may not be open the entire way down by early Sept. You should check Yosemite Valley lodging now and see if there is any vacancy. You definitely want to book hotels now in all locations once you finalize your itinerary. If you plan to book Alcatraz in SF, you need to book that now too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary help

Thank you all for your comments and help!

I've read on the news today that Highway 1 will now be open by end of July. Can anyone confirm this or let me know if its to be believed? Since I'll be travelling it midweek at the start of September will I be able to find motels without reservations on this route?

Also if I can now drive the entire route how do you suggest I fit in Yosemite? As a tour from San Francisco or is there a good place to join Highway 1 after driving to Yosemite?

Thanks

So Cal
Level Contributor
11,640 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary help

I would keep the night in Death Valley, but ditch the campervan and stay in an air conditioned motel. Or stay that night in Lone Pine or Mammoth - getting all the way to Yosemite from LV is a very long drive.

Definitely ditch Phoenix! Just drive all the way from LA to the Grand Canyon in one go (it's a long drive, but a very easy one, on high-speed freeway most of the way); give that night to Yosemite instead.

The problems with the campervan are: 1) You really need the a/c for Death Valley 2) You need to have a proper campsite for it, and those might be booked out already.

Yes, CalTrans just announced highway 1 will be open end of July - yay! However, no, I would not wing it with the reservations. This is very much high season. You really, really need to have a place booked everywhere you go.

Suggested route: LA > Grand Canyon > Vegas > Death Valley (stay there or Lone Pine or Mammoth) > Yosemite > San Francisco > Monterey > highway 1 to Cambria > LA.

Or you could still do Claire's route in #6, flying from LV to SF and driving from there.

Reply to: Honeymoon Itinerary help
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted