We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels LA and San Diego

USA
Level Contributor
66 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels LA and San Diego

Planning a 12 day trip in August spending a week in LA and 6 days in San Diego.

I am horrified at the hotel rates in Santa Monica, what with resort fees,and taxes,plus air from the East coast sadly makes Santa Monica somewhat unaffordable for many.

I would like to stay near the beach, but anything that looks decent seems to be 4/5 star at 400 a night plus.Staying for 7 nights put this over the top for us

I have looked at some 3 star, a few blocks away from the beach,and am not interested in paying their rates which are around 300 plus for accommodation that seems to be less quality and not worth that kind of money.,

Alternate choice, much to my surprise, is the availability of less expensive 4 and 5 star hotels in the Beverly Hills area. I am told we can Uber down to Santa Monica and it is about a 15 minute ride. I hope that is accurate.

Given the above, can any one suggest hotels both in Santa Monica and the Beverly Hills area that

would work for my wife and I. I realize that this is high season.

Does anyone know what the Shang Rii La and the Viceroy are like?

I know of the Courtyard in Santa Monica but is there a decent Courtyard

close to the Beverly Hills area ?

Many Thanks,

MB

PS .

Similar situation in San Diego - any suggestions in the downtown area?

The Manchester Grand Hyatt is offering amazing rates-under 200 a night. Now you

ask how come? It looks spectacular and they tell me it is a short walk to downtown.

It is also near the water which I like.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Beverly Hills Hotel
1,275 Reviews
Beverly Hills, CA
Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego
Manchester Grand Hyatt...
8,262 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Desert Riviera Hotel
Desert Riviera Hotel
#1 of 75 hotels in Palm Springs
Deerfield Lodge at Heavenly
Deerfield Lodge at Heavenly
#1 of 65 hotels in South Lake Tahoe
Hotel California
Hotel California
#2 of 75 hotels in Palm Springs
12 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,964 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels LA and San Diego

In San Diego there are usually great rates downtown in summer as it is not at a beach.

There's nothing wrong staying at the Hyatt or any of the other hotels nearby.

Beach hotels for 2 people will start at $250 and go waay up beyond 500.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
San Diego...
Level Contributor
736 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels LA and San Diego

For the san Diego hotel you might be coming on the weekday and not friday and Saturday and there might not be a convention going on.. But rates change daily if you check the hotel prices now it could change.. And it depends on the time of the year and day...

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,493 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels LA and San Diego

The Manchester Grand Hyatt is next to the SD Convention Center and is very much a business oriented hotel so when there are not conventions in town or it is in a dead business travel month like August or December it can have screaming good rates. The same goes for the Hilton Bayfront and Marriott Marquis. The Grand Hyatt is a very nice hotel with a good spa, very nice pool deck, good views and good access to the trolley.

That being said, I'd rather be at the beach in Pacific Beach, but I think you'd find rates there elevated. Do however check parking at the Grand Hyatt. I think it runs around $40 a night. There is cheaper parking nearby, but cheaper isn't cheap; it is downtown in a major U.S. city which is always not cheap.

Did you check the Sea View Hotel in Manhattan Beach? It is nice with good rates usually.

There is a Residence Inn next to Beverly Hills, and the Courtyard Century City. There is also a Residence Inn and Courtyard in Downtown LA, which might have good rates for the same reason Downtown San Diego does too.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 23:29
Mentioned in this post
8,262 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Hilton San Diego Bayfront
5,347 Reviews
San Diego, CA
San Francisco Marriott Marquis
San Francisco Marriott...
6,569 Reviews
San Francisco, CA
Pacific Beach
Pacific Beach
1,056 Reviews
San Diego, CA
The Sea View Inn at the Beach
The Sea View Inn at the...
800 Reviews
Manhattan Beach, CA
Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach
1,240 Reviews
Manhattan Beach, CA
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
California
Inn & Suites At Discovery Kingdom
Inn & Suites At...
483 Reviews
Vallejo, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
30,341 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels LA and San Diego

ShangriLa Santa Monica is well located and the rooms are spacious and the pool is large - really nice rooftop bar, also. Viceroy is also a nice and well located hotel, it brings in a big night crowd for the poolside bar, and has a top restaurant. If those are in budget, look no further.

Other Santa Monica options would be the Ambrose and PaliHouse. Look into Jamaica Bay Inn in Marina del Rey, too.

Beverly Hills has a few options like Maison 140, the Avalon, the SIXTY, if you like boutique hotels.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
The Ambrose
The Ambrose
1,315 Reviews
Santa Monica, CA
Palihouse Santa Monica
Palihouse Santa Monica
466 Reviews
Santa Monica, CA
Jamaica Bay Inn
Jamaica Bay Inn
1,347 Reviews
Marina del Rey, CA
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
California
La Maison Hotel
La Maison Hotel
781 Reviews
Palm Springs, CA
The Avalon Hotel
The Avalon Hotel
700 Reviews
Catalina Island, CA
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,042 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels LA and San Diego

Why are you surprised that beach hotels are more expensive in the height of summer than inland? Stay in Beverly Hills, it's more central to most of what visitors want to see and do, and close to the ocean as well.

Mentioned in this post
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
California
San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels LA and San Diego

It's unclear what your hotel budget is for LA. $300/night? What are your travel dates?

USA
Level Contributor
66 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels LA and San Diego

thank you all for your prompt responses. I think I will stick with Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego.

Santa Monica,I will probably have to give up on, so I will now look to Beverly Hills.

One boutique hotel Beverly Hills Plaza looks impressive, but they are suites with kitchens, and some with living rooms. You also walk up stairs to get to the room ???. Does anyone know anything about this hotel?

Are there any other boutique hotels or major hotel chains located in or near Beverly Hills where we can be close to the shops and malls.

Also the location of the Intercontinental downtown- area on the site does not look so great. JW Marriott downtown. I am told that one can usually get better rates in that area because it is slow in the summer months. Can one walk around there at night?

My thanks to all for your assistance.

MB

Mentioned in this post
8,262 Reviews
San Diego, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
California
Beverly Hills Plaza Hotel
Beverly Hills Plaza Hotel
445 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
USA
Level Contributor
66 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels LA and San Diego

Travel Dates August 20 for 7 nights. Budget around 300/330 inclusive of the taxes. I could stretch to 350.00 tops.

I was considering the down town area, and am now told to leave out the down town area, and that Beverly Hills is the ideal in between spot to be if we want a day or two at the beach.

Thanks for hanging in there with me to sort this out.

MB

Mentioned in this post
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
California
San Luis Obispo...
Level Contributor
602 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels LA and San Diego

There is an Intercontinental Hotel in Century City in addition to the one in downtown LA, as well as others; I would consider this to be Beverly Hills adjacent.

Mentioned in this post
Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
California
USA
Level Contributor
66 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels LA and San Diego

Hi,

I can get an excellent rate just around 300 per night at the Beverly Hills Marriott( Ex Crowne Plaza) - newly renovated, and about a mile from Rodeo Drive.

I looked into the Intercontinental in Century City - some of the reviews mention that at night, no stores or shops nearby, so you have to walk about 10/15 minutes or take an Uber to reach the restaurants. No where to walk around unless you take a cab.

Is the Marriott Beverly Hills the same thing?,no where to walk around in the evening. and do you need a cab to go to restaurants etc.

Beverly Hills Plaza looks fantastic, but the strangest thing is that half the affordable rooms (235 to 250 per night) can only be accessed by one or two flights of stairs (10 steps per flight). The other half I believe has elevators. They are up there in price.

Do you or anyone else know anything about the above hotels.?

Many thanks,

MB

Mentioned in this post
Beverly Hills Marriott
Beverly Hills Marriott
482 Reviews
Los Angeles, CA
Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa
Monterey Plaza Hotel...
5,536 Reviews
Monterey, CA
Rodeo Drive