We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Beach

Quesnel, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Long Beach

I’m looking for some tips that I am not aware of.

Here’s our circumstance.

We will be travelling from British Columbia Canada to Long Beach California, roughly 6 times over the next year for medical assistance for my son.

Currently we have driven to Seattle and taken a direct flight to Long Beach. The drive to Seattle from where we live is roughly 9 hours. I’m not fimilar with flying to LAX and driving to long beach. Would any one have any routes or tips to add that could save us from time or money?

If we could fly to LAX then we could fly right from Vancouver.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Long Beach
Long Beach
California
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
7 replies to this topic
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,851 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long Beach

There are no shortcuts or easy ways to Long Beach from LAX. You just have to evaluate if the cost/time savings of LAX make it more worthwhile than LGB.

Mentioned in this post
Long Beach
Long Beach
California
Quesnel, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Long Beach

Ok thanks! I was beginning to come to this conclusion but it’s nice to hear it for certain from people who know.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
6,577 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long Beach

Concur with above. Going from LAX to Long Beach is much more of a hassle than flying into LGB.

For example, all rental cars are off-site at LAX and require a shuttle ride, while LGB has them on-site.

At LAX you have no choice but to deal with the legendary traffic congestion of the Central Terminal Area. LGB is much easier to get in and out of.

Mentioned in this post
Long Beach
Long Beach
California
West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
32,833 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long Beach

If I understand you correctly you're currently driving 9 hours, followed by a 2-1/2-hour flight to LGB followed by picking up the rental car at LGB (15 minutes) and driving to your destination (20 minutes?) and are considering driving (I'm guessing) an hour or less to YVR and flying 3 hours to LAX, followed by a shuttle to the off-site car rental lot (30 minutes including waiting for the shuttle) followed by a drive of 60 to 75 minutes to your destination in Long Beach.

It would appear that the difference in cost associated with these options is as follows (I used a 'travel date' of 19 Jun so I'm guessing that fares would be less at other times of the year, especially if the tickets are purchased in advance:

You're considering...

a. Vancouver to L.A. -- $115 each way on American Airlines so that would come to $230/person and I'm going to guess that there are 3 of you so that totals $690 total in airfare. The car rental cost should be about the same but you'll have to pay a little bit more for petrol since LAX is about an hour from LGB -- I'm going to estimate $14 in additional petrol.

versus your current plan...

b. Somewhere in BC to Seattle (9 hour drive which I'll assume will cost $150 in petrol -- I'm really guessing, here because I don't know how much you guys pay for gasoline). Then, the flight to LGB is $206 x 3 people x 2 ways = $1236 followed by the short drive to wherever you're going in Long Beach ($8 in petrol return).

So, let's compare:

Current plan: 26 hours, round trip at a cost of $1394

Proposed plan: 11 hours, round trip at a cost of $712.

It looks like flying to LAX will cost about half as much and take less than 1/2 the time. Why wouldn't you do that?

Mentioned in this post
Long Beach
Long Beach
California
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Pasadena, California
Destination Expert
for Pasadena
Level Contributor
6,934 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long Beach

You might also want to consider Allegiant Airlines, which flies nonstop from Bellingham Washington to LAX. They have a limited schedule but if booked well in advance, their flights can be VERY inexpensive. We've flown this route with them a lot.

But certainly flying Vancouver/LAX is easiest and fastest. LAX-LOng beach is not a bad drive. If that drive worries you, you could Uber to Long bEach and rent a car there, if you need one.

I wish you and your child the very best.

Mentioned in this post
Bellingham
Bellingham
Washington
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Long Beach
Long Beach
California
So Cal
Level Contributor
11,099 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long Beach

The drive from LAX to Long Beach isn't bad if you don't have to make it during commuter hours. That's when it can be a nightmare. If the flight times work out for you, it might be worth it to save a few hundred dollars each trip.

Mentioned in this post
Long Beach
Long Beach
California
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,399 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long Beach

It's not a terrible drive from LAX, and as stated above, if you plan your flights so you do that drive by 3:00 pm, it's not a problem. You can always enjoy Manhattan Beach or Santa Monica if you get in during rush hours, too.

Mentioned in this post
Manhattan Beach
Manhattan Beach
1,253 Reviews
Manhattan Beach, CA
Santa Monica
Santa Monica
California
Reply to: Long Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted