We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ford mustang convertible trunk - will 2 x 26" cases fit?

Dunstable, Beds
Level Contributor
12 posts
40 reviews
ford mustang convertible trunk - will 2 x 26" cases fit?

I've read a fair bit about limited luggage space in the ford mustang convertible but still confused whether 2 medium suitcases 26" x 17.5" x 11.5" will fit into the trunk. As we are about to buy new luggage and are travelling around California for 3 week and definitely renting a mustang convertible, I want to make sure we don't get cases that are too big. Can anyone advise? Huge thanks!

Santa Monica...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Santa Monica, Mammoth Lakes
Level Contributor
31,660 posts
45 reviews
1. Re: ford mustang convertible trunk - will 2 x 26" cases fit?

This question gets asked all the time, have you done a search here on TA?

How many passengers? You can always put cases in the back seat.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,563 posts
1,111 reviews
2. Re: ford mustang convertible trunk - will 2 x 26" cases fit?

With the top up, yes.

With the top down, no.

Here is a good video of what the trunk will hold with top up. Click "show more" to get the suitcase sizes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTM2BQdOt5M

However, with the top down you will lose about *one foot* of space at the front of the trunk (towards the passenger compartment). 12"=30cm

West Hollywood...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles
Level Contributor
33,565 posts
64 reviews
3. Re: ford mustang convertible trunk - will 2 x 26" cases fit?

Edmunds.com has some specs on the Mustang Convertible:

Here are some options:

a. Give up the idea of the Mustang Convertible -- at least on the days when you're carrying luggage.

b. Put one suitcase on the back seat. I don't think it's likely that someone will steal your suitcase (any more than they would steal the car).

c. Buy one 22" and one 26" suitcase.

d. Get soft-sided luggage that you can bend more easily. Worst case: you can take out some items from one of the soft cases and squeeze the 'less filled' case in -- something you couldn't do with 2 hard-case suitcases. (Carry a tote bag in the suitcase for the leftovers).

While that video is informative, dimensions vary from year to year and model to model (for the car as well as for the suitcases). It looked like those big cases JUST fit. You wouldn't want to risk it if one of the dimensions changes by just an inch. (I'd measure the cases before buying them, just to check). But, the easiest is to just buy soft-sided luggage. It's lighter as well.

Good luck!

Dunstable, Beds
Level Contributor
12 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: ford mustang convertible trunk - will 2 x 26" cases fit?

thanks guys - your responses have been really helpful. there are only two of us, so the back seat is an option and between getting squidgy luggage and not taking so many shoes (!) the luggage size suggested by HopSkipJump should do us.

can't wait now!

Doncaster
Level Contributor
150 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: ford mustang convertible trunk - will 2 x 26" cases fit?

My wife I are in Cal for 3 weeks in September and have got a Mustang conv from dollar , I am watching your replies with interest.

Dunstable, Beds
Level Contributor
12 posts
40 reviews
6. Re: ford mustang convertible trunk - will 2 x 26" cases fit?

If I remember, I'll post what luggage we actually got in when I get back! we are hiring from Dollar as well - in San francisco.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,349 posts
38 reviews
7. Re: ford mustang convertible trunk - will 2 x 26" cases fit?

We got our luggage into a rented Mustang convertible on a CA road trip just fine (rather as per the youtube video, without the shoes!!!), and had the top down for the drive. But, stow your luggage before you put the top down as the top eats into the access space when the boot/trunk lid is open. Then, you need to put the top back up to get the stuff out again. We have a rule of never leaving anything unattended or in plain sight on the back seat except perhaps the remains of a picnic, but maybe that's just us. When out and about during the day we left the top down when we parked, with no issues.

SWT

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,563 posts
1,111 reviews
8. Re: ford mustang convertible trunk - will 2 x 26" cases fit?

I've owned convertibles for many many years and parked everywhere imaginable with the top down. Never had a thing taken. However, I don't leave anything "tempting". There are jackets, CDs and misc stuff, but I never leave anything remotely valuable in it - even with the top up.

What a beautiful cat, SWT!

Edited: 24 May 2011, 02:24
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,349 posts
38 reviews
9. Re: ford mustang convertible trunk - will 2 x 26" cases fit?

I think your kitty is pretty, too, h-B!

SWT

Actually, my own 'regular' car here in the UK is also a convertible, and smaller than the Mustang - a 2-seater so no back seat. We use it for local road trips all the time as driving with the top down and the wind in your hair is so nice. When we have longer road trips across the Channel to mainland Europe we take the other car, DH's sedan, as it has the extra space for all the lovely food and wine purchases that are a major part of those foreign trips!

10. Re: ford mustang convertible trunk - will 2 x 26" cases fit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2012, 12:18