We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with planning an itinerary to Colorado in Sept 2018

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Help with planning an itinerary to Colorado in Sept 2018

Hi There -- My husband and I (60 and 55) are planning a Sept 2018 trip to Colorado. Flying from Rochester, NY on Sept 15 (arriving at noon) into Denver and leaving Sept 24 from same location. We started visiting the National Parks 3 years ago and have already done Sedona-GCNP-Zion, Grand Teton-Yellowstone, and Yosemite-Napa-SanFransisco. We are outdoor enthusiasts and like to hike, but not die hard climbers (didn't do El Capitan), Here's where our interests are, please suggest a route, length of stay, and add others if you think we would like...

Looking to see Estes and RMNP, along with Boulder (we heard it's quaint) and wanted to hit a yoga studio there I know about. I have a nephew in Denver we will look up. Also wanted to see a concert at Red Rocks (Sept 20) but didn't know the official site for getting tickets (I found redrocksonline.com but it was a reseller and most likely more expensive) Pikes Peak -- can you drive it, or just hike it, and how challenging is it?

Thanks so much in advance,

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Rochester
Rochester
Minnesota
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Sedona
Sedona
Arizona
Napa
Napa
Napa Valley, CA
El Capitan
El Capitan
1,123 Reviews
Yosemite National Park, CA
Hotel Estes
Hotel Estes
409 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
Boulder
Boulder
Colorado
Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
374 Reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour from Las...
602 Reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Las Vegas Tour: Grand Canyon...
127 Reviews
from US$476.99*
US$499.00
8 replies to this topic
Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
467 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with planning an itinerary to Colorado in Sept 2018

Pikes peak is normally driveable but this year there is a mandatory shuttle because of road work. The hike is long like 13 miles up from the manitou trail headbut not technically challenging. Hiking at 14k is a challenge if you are from sea level. There are other 14er hikes that are much shorter that might be better if you haven't hiked that high before.

You can also drive up Mt. Evan's another 14er near denver.

Mentioned in this post
Pikes Peak
Pikes Peak
5,599 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Colorado
Level Contributor
12,416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with planning an itinerary to Colorado in Sept 2018

You should be able to drive up Pikes Peak at that time. The mandatory shuttle service ends September 15.

The road to the summit of Mount Evans closes the day after Labor Day - September 4.

Mentioned in this post
Pikes Peak
Pikes Peak
5,599 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Mount Evans
Mount Evans
2,197 Reviews
Denver, CO
Fort Collins, CO
Level Contributor
311 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with planning an itinerary to Colorado in Sept 2018

Mount Evans will not be open all the way to the top at the time of their visit. It closes the Tuesday after Labor Day.

Mentioned in this post
Mount Evans
Mount Evans
2,197 Reviews
Denver, CO
Colorado
Level Contributor
12,416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with planning an itinerary to Colorado in Sept 2018

That's the correct site for Red Rocks. They don't sell tickets except on the day of the show. I've always purchased tickets through Ticketmaster: https:/…245763

redrocksonline.com/visitor-info/visitor-faq

The Red Rocks Box Office is open day of show only. If tickets are still available for that day’s show, and other upcoming shows, you can usually purchase them at the Box Office. The Box Office is located on Red Rocks Park Road (Entrance 2). Also, all available Red Rocks tickets can be purchased at the Denver Coliseum (4600 Humboldt St, Denver) on Saturdays from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with planning an itinerary to Colorado in Sept 2018

Thanks very much on info about Pikes Peak, Mount Evans, and Red Rocks Concerts. If you have ideas on possible itinerary for us, that would be greatly appreciated as well.

Mentioned in this post
Pikes Peak
Pikes Peak
5,599 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Mount Evans
Mount Evans
2,197 Reviews
Denver, CO
Colorado
Level Contributor
12,416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with planning an itinerary to Colorado in Sept 2018

You are welcome.

I typically don't plan itineraries but I can give you some suggestions.

Looks like you have 8 full days here (when is your flight on the 24th?).

You could spend your first night and following day or two in Boulder (depends on what you want to see/do). Do you climb? Boulder is a climbing mecca. https://www.outsideonline.com/2155641/36-hou…

Then drive to Estes Park and RMNP via the Peak to Peak Scenic byway. Your timing should be good for viewing the start of fall foliage https:/…peak-to-peak-scenic-byway

If you are hikers you definitely want at least 2 days in RMNP. September is a very busy month in Estes Park and RMNP so if you want to visit you should reserve your lodging ASAP: https://www.visitestespark.com/lodging/

On the 20th drive to Morrison for the Red Rocks show. Stay in Golden or west of Denver? You could check into your hotel on the way.

Maybe spend the 21st in Colorado Springs and see Pikes Peak and Garden of the Gods. Then back to Denver to visit your nephew.

Mentioned in this post
Boulder
Boulder
Colorado
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Morrison
Morrison
Colorado
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Colorado Springs
Colorado Springs
El Paso County, CO
Pikes Peak
Pikes Peak
5,599 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Garden of the Gods
Garden of the Gods
13,869 Reviews
Colorado Springs, CO
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
57 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with planning an itinerary to Colorado in Sept 2018

wow ! lots of good info. I will check it all out ! Thank you Babalax!

Colorado
Level Contributor
12,416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with planning an itinerary to Colorado in Sept 2018

You're welcome. We can help you fine tune it once you decide on a plan.

Reply to: Help with planning an itinerary to Colorado in Sept 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;