We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I haven't changed any plans yet but.....

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
151 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
I haven't changed any plans yet but.....

First of all please accept all my wishes for a fast resolution to the fires and my sympathies for anyone affected by them.

I'm wondering if I should start looking at an alternative route(one of my hotels(Telluride) has a 30 day cancellation policy and the other (Durango) is 14. I need to make a decide this week for Telluride.

I know no one can predict the weather but I would like to know if anyone could suggest some nice towns or cities heading north that has beautiful scenery. I would still like to include Ouray,Telluride and Basalt if possible.

Original route again(Golden,Palisade,Montrose,Telluride,Cortez,Durango,Ouray,Basalt).

Wishing everyone the best,

Debbie

Special Offer
Grand Canyon West Rim Luxury...
378 Reviews
from US$299.99*
US$399.00
Special Offer
Grand Canyon Helicopter Tour from Las...
614 Reviews
from US$369.99*
US$479.00
Special Offer
Las Vegas Tour: Grand Canyon...
129 Reviews
from US$475.99*
US$499.00
10 replies to this topic
Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I haven't changed any plans yet but.....

Right now Durango is the main town that is having fire issues. Telluride/Ouray should be fine. Cortez is still ok if you are wanting to see Mesa Verde. If you want to reroute and stay out of the southwest places like aspen, basalt, Carbondale, Steamboat Springs, Vail, Summit County, Buena Vista, Salida, Crested Butte, are all pretty mountain areas with plentiful activities and lodging and no fires as of yet.

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
275 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I haven't changed any plans yet but.....

Tough decision. Several years ago there were multiple wildfires in the state that affected summer plans for travelers then. I mention this because the state as a whole is drier now then it was during that summer. So you could change locations to another mountain community but wildfire could break out near that community affecting that location. No way to predict. So, if it were me I would hold on to the T Ride reservations and hope for the best. Then decide closer to the cancelation deadline re Durango. One thing to consider is if you were planning on riding the Durango train it has suspended service for now. When it resumes Diesel engines rather than steam engines will likely be used due to drought conditions. Best wishes....I hope it works out for you..

WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I haven't changed any plans yet but.....

I'd stick with the plan for Telluride, Cortez, Ouray. You may need to skip or shorten Durango lodging (wait a little bit to decide for sure), but might be able to drive through to Silverton & Ouray.

After Ouray you have Basalt planned. You could drive to Delta and Paonia then over McClure Pass to Redstone, maybe a detour to Marble for a jeep tour to Crystal Mill. A very scenic route. Even more scenic but a little longer drive would be to take Hwy 50 east from Montrose to Hwy 92 to get to Crawford>Hotchkiss>Paonia.

Hotchkiss/Crawford/Paonia is fruit growing & wine country and takes you through part of the West Elk scenic byway.

http://www.northforkvalley.net/Food-and-Wine

Edited: 09 June 2018, 04:33
WestSlope,CO
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I haven't changed any plans yet but.....

You also might look at trip insurance. Some policies have to be purchased within a certain number of days of booking, but others have more lenient terms. Also, some policies are "cancel for any reason" and others are more restrictive.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
151 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I haven't changed any plans yet but.....

Thank you everyone for your help.

Do you still think Palisade is a good idea or is the fire danger too great there? I will hold off on making any decisions but am starting to look at other towns(Salida,Buena Vista) or adding a day or two extra to Ouray.

I was also looking at Steamboat Springs but not sure how to incorporate it into my plans.

I have to commit to Telluride by the 11th or lose one night's deposit. Any additional information on other hotels or towns I could substitute would be greatly appreciated,

Debbie

Colorado
Level Contributor
2,499 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I haven't changed any plans yet but.....

i am going to Telluride in about 10 days and not considering any changes. It would not occur to me that the fire near Durango could still be going in 30 days but I guess it is possible.

Wildfires are pretty common in these parts so maybe I am not getting it but....

Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I haven't changed any plans yet but.....

Palisade should be fine. It is desert and fruit growing and winery area. No real big forests to burn right there. It is possible for smaller grass fires but those aren't on the scale of whats happening in Durango. I wouldn't worry about Palisade.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
151 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I haven't changed any plans yet but.....

You are a 100% correct Soprisorburst. I really don't understand the situation and really appreciate any information you and other people can provide.

Wildfires are not common in the northeast(you can ask me about Hurricanes and Blizzards though). If I made plans to upstate New York that I could drive to and needed to change it that would be easy to do, This is a major vacation I have been planning for over a year and I'm trying to make the best decisions with the help of tripadvisor..

Thank you for your help,

Debbie

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
151 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I haven't changed any plans yet but.....

Thank you Keith!

Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: I haven't changed any plans yet but.....

Most likely the fires will be well contained and out long before your trip. Any longer term issues will be what had been damaged and burned in the fires, homes, roads etc...and it may affect scenic areas for years to come. Most likely Durango will be fine once you get here. Telluride isn't affected at this point and that particular fire would have to come a long way and over a lot of mountains to get to Telluride.

The other issue is the entire state and much of the rocky mountain southwest had a historically dry winter and spring. So as much as you plan to route around this fire, more than likely there will be some others unless we get wet real fast, No one can predict what's going to happen.

Reply to: I haven't changed any plans yet but.....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted