We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denver/mountains in September ideas?

Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Denver/mountains in September ideas?

Hey guys! This will be my first trip to Denver and the mountains, so I'm really excited. I will be traveling with my boyfriend and another couple in early September. I am trying to put together an itinerary that satisfies everybody. I am more into hiking and outdoorsy activities, and the other couple is more into seeing the city, so we compromised and want to split out trip with both types of activities. I made a rough itinerary that I want to expand to include more details and activities (which I posted below).

So, my first question is, I have read that the National Park gets crowded around that time of the year. If I want to get in some good hiking with good mountain views/waterfalls/outdoors, what areas would you recommend? It can be either in the National Park or anywhere surrounding. I'm also okay with overnight tent camping/hiking, kayaking, or any other activities you can recommend.

My second question is what else can you recommend in Denver? I have found many things to do, but would like a first person recommendation. I'm interested in the cannabis church, ice lab, and exploring the breweries. Any restaurants or sites that you can recommend would be great!

My last note is that I am from the gulf coast of Alabama, where the land is flat and we drown from heat even in the winter, so I thought breaking up the time in Denver to acclimate to the elevation before attempting any hiking would be beneficial. Thanks for reading and for any help!

Denver/Rocky Mountains Itinerary

Wednesday, September 5th

Be at NOLA airport by 1130

Flight leaves at 1309

Arrives in Denver at 1504

Check in at our airbnb or hotel (insert address when booked)

Explore Denver

Thursday, September 6th

Explore Denver

Drive that evening to airbnb (insert address/contact info when booked)

Friday, September 7th

Rocky Mountains

Saturday, September 8th

Rocky Mountains

Sunday, September 9th

Rocky Mountains

Monday, September 10th

Drive back to Denver in the morning

Stay night in Denver (insert address when booked)

Tuesday, September 11th

Be at airport at 0430

Flight leaves at 0600

Arrives in NOLA at 0938

Lunch/afternoon in NOLA?

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Rocky Mountains
Rocky Mountains
391 Reviews
Colorado
6 replies to this topic
Eagle, Colorado
Level Contributor
992 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Denver/mountains in September ideas?

For the mountain/hiking parts there are multiple places you can go within a couple hours from Denver. RMNP/estes park is great but may be the most crowded. Resort towns like Breckenridge and Frisco in Summit County or Vail will have lots of places to see and outdoor activities to do and plenty of rooms. Buena Vista and Salida are 2 other towns not ski resorts, but in the mountains with plenty of outdoor activites a couple hours from Denver. A bit further from Denver but also great are the Aspen/Glenwood area or Steamboat or Crested Butte.

Early September is great in the mountains. Cool nights lots of sun usually and warm but not hot days, less crowded, but usually some weekend festivals like oktober fest or music things etc...you may want to look at those various towns and see whats going on on your dates. That may be a good compromise for your city friends outdoor activities with music/food/beer festivals after

Mentioned in this post
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Frisco
Frisco
Colorado
Summit Inn
Summit Inn
174 Reviews
Frisco, CO
Vail
Vail
Colorado
Salida
Salida
Colorado
Glenwood Suites
Glenwood Suites
370 Reviews
Glenwood Springs, CO
Windsor, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Estes Park, Rocky Mountain National Park
Level Contributor
12,527 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denver/mountains in September ideas?

There is no doubt that RMNP and Estes Park would be the most crowded options. Any weekend in September in Estes Park and RMNP is very crowded but especially over the weekend you are considering. The Longs Peak Scottish Irish Highland Festival is September 6-9 in Estes Park and that event draws about 80,000 people each year.

Breckenridge/Frisco and Summit County do seem like a better fit for your type of trip. You can combine hiking with breweries, good restaurants, nightlife and more of the things you have an interest in.

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Longs Peak
Longs Peak
57 Reviews
Rocky Mountain National Park, CO
Frisco
Frisco
Colorado
Summit Inn
Summit Inn
174 Reviews
Frisco, CO
Fort Collins, CO
Level Contributor
437 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denver/mountains in September ideas?

There is a Scottish festival in Estes Park Sept 6-9 that draws thousands of visitors so the town will be even busier than normal that weekend. http://www.scotfest.com/

Mentioned in this post
Estes Park
Estes Park
Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denver/mountains in September ideas?

Thank you! I love the look of Buena Vista!

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Colorado
Level Contributor
14,548 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Denver/mountains in September ideas?

Check out Salida, it has a bit more going on. Though at that time of year Frisco is sure nice.

Mentioned in this post
Salida
Salida
Colorado
Frisco
Frisco
Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Denver/mountains in September ideas?

We definitely want to stay away from crowds, so thank you on the Estes tip. I'll look into Salida and the other towns mentioned.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Estes
Hotel Estes
433 Reviews
Estes Park, CO
Salida
Salida
Colorado
Reply to: Denver/mountains in September ideas?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted