We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel near Amtrak station in Atlanta

Pasadena, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel near Amtrak station in Atlanta

Trying to finish up my vacation plans and need to find a hotel close to the Amtrak station in Atlanta and make sure that it is a good/safe area and if not closest good/safe area. I know in Houston the station is not in the best of areas so that is the reason I ask.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
12 replies to this topic
Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
17,000 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel near Amtrak station in Atlanta

Stay in Midtown

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,953 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel near Amtrak station in Atlanta

The nearest would be the Marriott Residence Inn or the Artmore. Both about 5 blocks away and the whole area is quite safe.

Mentioned in this post
Artmore Hotel
Artmore Hotel
1,838 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6,282 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel near Amtrak station in Atlanta

I'm a little confused - previously you asked about hotels between Atlanta and Gatlinburg, so seemed you were driving. Have your plans changed? If you want the best overall advice it's usually better to give more details about your itinerary and plans (especially if it contradicts previous info that you have already shared).

There was big thread (in the Atlanta forum, which might have been a better place to post your question) about hotels near the Amtrak station just a few months ago:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60898…

It talks a lot about MARTA, but there is some info in there about hotels too. My choice for hotel would be the Artmore - http://www.artmorehotel.com

-JimG

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Artmore Hotel
Artmore Hotel
1,838 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Pasadena, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel near Amtrak station in Atlanta

Jim,

My son and I will be arriving by AMTRAK and meeting my husband who will be coming into Atlanta airport, we are renting a car and driving to Great Smokey Mountains where we will be staying 6 nights.. Our arrival into Atlanta is fairly late so we are planning to stay one night on the road going to the GSM and our departure train leaving Atlanta for home is early so we need to be close to the Amtrak station. So, no my plans have not changed just finishing up my planning ,and this was the last piece.

Mentioned in this post
Pasadena, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel near Amtrak station in Atlanta

Thanks One, you have been extremely helpful in helping with my whole trip!

Pasadena, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel near Amtrak station in Atlanta

Thank you Steve!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
17,000 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel near Amtrak station in Atlanta

"My son and I will be arriving by AMTRAK and meeting my husband who will be coming into Atlanta airport,"

Amtrak is notoriously late. You can't count on arrival times. It's an easy drive to the north GA mountains (and on to GSMNP) but if you have an afternoon train scheduled to arrive, I'd still stay in Midtown. Take an Uber, Lyft or taxi to a Midtown hotel and have your husband pick up a rental car at the airport and meet you. Whomever gets there first can explore in Midtown a bit while waiting for the other.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,953 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel near Amtrak station in Atlanta

I assume you're coming in from the south. The train is scheduled to arrive in Atlanta at 7:35 PM but never does. Average is 1 to 1.5 hours late, sometimes much later. You can thank Norfolk Southern Railroad.

Your departure to return south may actually be close to on time, but this morning, for instance, will be about 3 hours late. Again, thank NS.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Norfolk
Norfolk
Virginia
Pasadena, Texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel near Amtrak station in Atlanta

One and Steve, URGH! The last train trip we took, the train was 12 hours late leaving! I was led to believe that it was a fluke, we went Houston to El Paso. The return train was pretty much on time so I was tempted to believe them. Oh well, just more time to see the area. Luckily my son and I are flexible on time so it wont affect us too much either way, we will be coming and going from New Orleans via the train and driving to and from Houston.

I don't fly so the train is our best option, other than driving the whole way, helps that we enjoy it. I will count on closer to 9pm per your information. My husband's flight will arrive earlier so I will have him get the rental and explore the area, figure he will get lost at least a few times (no sense of direction) so the extra time should go quickly.

Even leaving that late is the drive fairly easy? Keeping in mind we are use to driving in Houston or at most the hill country of Texas which has very low elevations and fairly straight roads. Would really like to stay that first night halfway to the GSM.

Will for sure stay the night in Atlanta on the return, I am not a morning person so need to make sure I am close. The Artmore looks like a great option. Husbands flight is later so he needs to get to the airport and will have time to make his way there after dropping us off.

Mentioned in this post
Houston
Houston
Texas Gulf Coast, TX
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
Texas
Texas
United States
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Artmore Hotel
Artmore Hotel
1,838 Reviews
Atlanta, GA
Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
6,953 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel near Amtrak station in Atlanta

There may be National Park Service volunteers on board your train to interpret what you're seeing and insight into the area. They travel Atlanta to Birmingham and back and hang out in the lounge car, so look for them.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia
Reply to: Hotel near Amtrak station in Atlanta
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;