We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Rentals and the legislature

Port Townsend...
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation Rentals and the legislature

What is the current status of this situation? We received a very confusing email stating the state wanted to close VRBO. I don't think I have an accurate idea of what is happening. Can you fill me in?

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,057 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation Rentals and the legislature

Aloha,

From whom?

Is this BS from VRBO mgmt?

Can you post a link and/or past the email here.

Mahalo

Mentioned in this post
Mahalo Tours
Mahalo Tours
353 Reviews
Maui, HI
United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation Rentals and the legislature

Who sent you the email?

Was it an owner of a specific illegal unit whose listing needed to be taken down because they got caught?

I doubt the state of Hawaii is going after VRBO as a whole?

The legality of any specific rental is dealt with on a county level. So it depends per the island. They all have different regulations.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,057 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation Rentals and the legislature

There was mention on one of the vrbo forced new fee threads about the CEO trying to get owners to write politicians in Hawai'i to try to get them to stop enforcement of the vacation rental laws.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,057 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation Rentals and the legislature

This is just TOO much. Verrrrrrbo is confusing folks right and left.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,057 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation Rentals and the legislature

Traveler11223, there are a few possibilities I can think of, but we need to see what you're talking about in order to answer your question.

Are you an owner who has a listing with VRBO?

Waikoloa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation Rentals and the legislature

I mentioned in another thread that I received an email from vrbo asking me to lobby state senators to try to stop them from cracking down on illegal rentals - I fully support efforts to crack down, btw. Here's the email I received last week. I was very annoyed by it. It's very misleading.

Dear Hawaii property owners and managers,

There is a potentially harmful bill currently being considered by the Hawaii legislature. The bill is SB 2123 and its House companion, HB 1646, which will be up in the Senate Consumer Protection and Health Committee on Friday, February 26, 2016 at 10:30 AM.

This initiative would empower counties in Hawaii to gradually phase out nonconforming single-family transient vacation rentals. In other words, it allows counties to eventually make secondary vacation rental homes illegal to operate.

Please take a moment to send an email to the members of the Senate Consumer Protection and Health Committee to make your voices heard! Here is a template for your consideration:

SUBJECT: Opposition to SB 2123 / HB 1646 to protect property rights of all homeowners

Dear Senator _____

I am writing to highlight my opposition to SB 2123 and its House companion, HB 1646.

Traditional short-term rentals, or vacation rentals, have long been an important residential accommodation for families as they increase economic activity in local economies and support a significant number of jobs in their communities. The requirements of SB 2123 and HB 1646 are inconsistent with constitutional property rights of owners to exercise their right to use (including rent) their own properties.

The members of the committee should recognize the importance of tourism to the Hawaiian economy and therefore the need to provide appropriate accommodation choices to visitors. I respectfully request the committee consider these facts when debating this bill.

Thank you,

Mentioned in this post
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,057 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation Rentals and the legislature

Mahalo for posting that, boulders. I saw your post yesterday. I wondered if this OP got the same message and was just confused, as she says her email claims the State of Hawai'i wants to shut down vrbo.

I hope she will post her email here as well.

Mahalo for not buying into the verrrrrrbo BS, boulders. I am seriously PO'd at them.

Mentioned in this post
Mahalo Tours
Mahalo Tours
353 Reviews
Maui, HI
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,507 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation Rentals and the legislature

The Hawaii Tourist Bureau (or whatever it's called today) should pay attention to VRBO's interference. Fewer visitors will find affordable condos once Expedia (VRBO's new owner) get through forcing owners to use their bank, their insurance, and charging guests fees to book through them.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,057 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation Rentals and the legislature

SUPER-offensive.

Hawaii
Level Contributor
40,652 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation Rentals and the legislature

Monday night I was at a community meeting here on the Big Island, where our State Representative (House member) was giving his post-legislative session update. Tourism is not his area, as he chairs the Labor committee, but I took the opportunity to ask him if Hawai'i Island was ever going to follow suit on requiring permits and licenses for vacation rentals. (I asked the question neutrally.)

The part of his reply that relates to this topic is he mentioned what he called the "Air B&B bill." I am sorry I did not write down the Bill number, but he said it quickly.

The main deal with this bill is to put TAT and GE tax collection into the oversight of Air B&B, and I would assume VRBO. The company would need to contract with the State of Hawai'i in order to advertise here, and would be required to collect taxes as part of the rental payment, and then remit to the state.

Same bill or different?

Mentioned in this post