We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

reservations in September

iow
Level Contributor
8 posts
17 reviews
reservations in September

We are planning a driving trip starting Sept. 1 for a week along the coast of Maine from Portland to Acadia National Park. We are hoping to stay in B & B's but want to be flexible as to how far we go in a day. Any problems getting same or day before rsv.?

2 replies to this topic
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,547 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: reservations in September

Here in Bar Harbor, it wouldn't be unusual for all the B and Bs to be fully booked for the first week in September. You might find a room somewhere, after a hunt. I would guess the same would be true for Camden.

Level Contributor
6,736 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: reservations in September

For the holiday weekend that could be trouble. After that you might luck out most nights but would have to start looking around 2pm, by 6pm the "no vacancy" signs go up. It would be much less stressful to come up with a plan and stick to it, making reservations. Driving around looking for vacancies can waste a lot of time, and there are a lot of good places to stay that you won't even see just driving the main roads.

. It's hard to say since we don't know where you'll be between Portland and Acadia.

I don't know how "booking the day before" would help you if you don't know how far you're gonna get on day one. So I would just book everything in advance and be done with it. The distances aren't that far so it's not like you're not going to be able to get to your next destination. There aren't really a lot of places to stay last-minute along the coast between Portland and Acadia. Camden/Rockland is one. Maybe Boothbay Harbor or Damariscotta? There are usually roadside motel rooms available but why stay on the highway when you can stay by the ocean or in a downtown area?

Reply to: reservations in September
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Maine