We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time In Cape Cod - Where to Base ourselves?

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
First Time In Cape Cod - Where to Base ourselves?

Hello,

My husband and I will be travelling to Cape Cod in October for 4 nights (either 4th - 8th Oct or 11th - 15th Oct. This is yet TBC). I have a few questions in relation to our trip:

1. We were hoping to spend two nights in one place and two nights in another place. Where would you recommend that we base ourselves that is beach-side and a typical Cape Cod town? We would love to be within walking distance of bars/restaurants also if possible.

2. We were also considering staying on either Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket for one of these 4 nights. Would you recommend a night on one of the islands, or simply to do it as a day trip? Which island would be better at that time of year and do you have any recommendations of places to stay on the islands?

3. In regards to the above listed questions, where would you recommend staying (hotel/guest house wise)? Budget is 200-300 US Dollars per night.

Looking forward to hearing from you and thanks in advance!

Best Seller
Day Trip to Martha's Vineyard
641 Reviews
from US$94.50*
Best Seller
Boston Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
1,076 Reviews
from US$41.95*
Best Seller
Boston Whale Watching Cruise
535 Reviews
from US$55.65*
6 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,364 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time In Cape Cod - Where to Base ourselves?

Hi, with 4 nights I would suggest staying in one spot and traveling around (more time to visit, less time packing & unpacking). I am assuming you'll have a car. You could stay in the mid-Cape area and have easy access to the ferries to either the Vineyard or Nantucket for a day trip. Just know the later that you travel in the month of October the fewer seasonal places will be open. We have a three-day weekend (Monday holiday) which occurs October 6-8 which is often the "last hurrah" for many seasonal spots. All towns on the Cape are beach-side but not many offer walk to the beach AND to shops/restaurants. I would suggest Dennis or Harwich as good places to start your search for lodging.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,249 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time In Cape Cod - Where to Base ourselves?

I would spend 4 nights on MV. I am biased though. If you want to split it two and two then 2 on MV and 2 in Provincetown would be nice.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,591 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time In Cape Cod - Where to Base ourselves?

Do your best to come on your earlier dates. It will make a difference on your experience.

If you are going to stay in two places then Falmouth and Chatham would be good choices. Make a day trip out of Woods Hole or Falmouth harbor.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,364 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time In Cape Cod - Where to Base ourselves?

Just so you are aware, if you take a ferry out of Woods Hole/Falmouth you are limited to visiting Martha's Vineyard. Leaving from Hyannis, you have a choice of visiting either the Vineyard or Nantucket.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,591 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time In Cape Cod - Where to Base ourselves?

Regarding accommodations: If you go to the very top of this page (not using a phone) and input the town(s) where you'd like to stay you'll find a big selection. Read reviews of recent guests and then whittle it down to a few properties. If you have questions then come back and ask.

A well regarded favorite Inn in Falmouth is https://innonthesound.com and, in the off-season your budget should work there.

From Falmouth you can do a day-trip to MV.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,618 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time In Cape Cod - Where to Base ourselves?

A lot of time, October is not beach weather. Are you hoping to lay out on the beach or just be beach side for the view?

Reply to: First Time In Cape Cod - Where to Base ourselves?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted