We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two days over July 4th.

PA
Level Contributor
437 posts
Save Topic
Two days over July 4th.

We will be driving from Portland to central Pennsylvania on July 3 and don't need to be back in Pa until late on July 5th. Looking for someplace nice to spend these few days. It's not necessary that we stay in the same spot both nights and also, we're not looking for places to stay because of convenience, so it doesn't need to be halfway in-between. Thinking quaint New England beach town would be nice.

Thank you very much in advance.

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
10 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,677 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two days over July 4th.

Sturbridge with a visit to Old Sturbridge village. For Lodging with an old-time feel look into the Publick House.

Mentioned in this post
Sturbridge
Sturbridge
Massachusetts
Old Sturbridge Village
Old Sturbridge Village
1,235 Reviews
Sturbridge, MA
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,989 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two days over July 4th.

If you are looking to stay in a beach town over July 4th holiday, you probably will need to stay 2 nights in order to get a reservation. Look at Newburyport, Gloucester and Rockport area for the quaint coastal town idea. Cape Cod is the quintisssential quaint beachy region of MA, but your route to PA will not take you near the Cape nor any of coastal New England south of Newburyport.

Portsmouth, NH also fits the bill and it has lots if accommodation choices in different price ranges and the Rye beaches are only a short drive away. But, it is only about an hour south of Portland.

Edited: 10 June 2018, 04:54
Mentioned in this post
Newburyport
Newburyport
Massachusetts
Gloucester
Gloucester
Cape Ann, MA
Rockport
Rockport
Cape Ann, MA
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
New England
New England
United States
Portsmouth
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
PA
Level Contributor
437 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Two days over July 4th.

Thank you very much for the ideas. There seems to be so many choices, so helping me narrow it down by recommendations is quite helpful.

We don't mind going out of the way a little bit, so any more thoughts that are off our course are fine! Also, if it's not halfway in between, we are completely good with that also.

Thanks again to both of you!

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,989 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two days over July 4th.

Ok, if you don’t mind going out if your way, then look at Chatham on Cape Cod (quaint), Wellfleet on Cape Cod ( also quaint but a bit further to drive). Cape Cod would provide the quintessential quaint “Summer in New England” experience, but July 4th is the highest of high season, so expect lots of traffic getting there and getting around.

Newport, RI is another thought. Lively, fun downtown on the harbor with lots of restaurants and bars by the water and shopping. Newport accommodation is always pricey, but neighboring Middletown has more budget-priced accommodation and it is a very short drive.

Edited: 11 June 2018, 02:04
Mentioned in this post
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Wellfleet
Wellfleet
Cape Cod, MA
New England
New England
United States
Newport
Newport
Rhode Island
Middletown
Middletown
Rhode Island
PA
Level Contributor
437 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Two days over July 4th.

Thank you! I love seeing the words quaint, fun, summer in New England and by the water! Just what I'm looking for!

Mentioned in this post
New England
New England
United States
Hilton Head, South...
Level Contributor
324 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two days over July 4th.

Orleans is another quaint fun town with 2 great beaches one on the ocean side the other on the bay side. Nice restaurants to fit anybody's tastes.

Mentioned in this post
Orleans
Orleans
Cape Cod, MA
PA
Level Contributor
437 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Two days over July 4th.

So now I find out that we have to head to St Albans, Vermont before heading home to Pa. This throws me off and I probably should start another post instead of this one, but I'll start here for now and see how it goes.

We will be leaving Portland the morning of July 3 and need to be in St Albans the morning of July 5. Any suggestions for a nice route, places to see and stay? Doesn't need to be the fastest and most direct route. I'd rather go off course a little if it means a more scenic experience, but I'm very unfamiliar with this area.

Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Vermont
Vermont
United States
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,989 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two days over July 4th.

OK, with that info, I would plan to spend the 2 nights in the White Mountains area of New Hampshire. Beautiful, scenic mountain region with some spectacular mountain drives (check out the Kancamagus Highway) and lots to see and do. Jackson, NH is a quaint town to consider as your base. There are sure to be lots of 4th of July events going on in the area. From Jackson, it is about a 4 hour drive to St. Albans through the White Mountains region. Portland to Jackson is about a 3 hour drive.

Mentioned in this post
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
Kancamagus Highway
Kancamagus Highway
2,880 Reviews
North Conway, NH
Jackson
Jackson
White Mountains, NH
PA
Level Contributor
437 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Two days over July 4th.

Thank you very much! Anything specific that I would want to make sure to checkout?

Is there a particular route you suggest to follow? When I map it on Google Maps it says it's less than 5 hours total from Portland to Jackson and then to St Albans.

Mentioned in this post
PA
Level Contributor
437 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Two days over July 4th.

Okay BooKat, I've had a chance to research the White Mountains area a little bit and now I have another question for you. I'm torn between 112 and 302. Do you have any suggestions that would help me choose between the two?

Mentioned in this post
White Mountains
White Mountains
New Hampshire
Reply to: Two days over July 4th.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted