We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deerfield/Greenfield/Charlemont areas

NH
Level Contributor
593 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Deerfield/Greenfield/Charlemont areas

We are taking a quick trip to western Mass. The main purpose is to do a day rafting trip out of Charlemont with either Berkshire Whitewater or Zoar. We are staying at the Hampton Inn Greenfield.

Any other suggestions in the area with 8 and 9 year old boys? I'm thinking about hiking at Sugarloaf, the Thunderbolt Coaster, maybe a zipline tour (I did find one that my boys are old enough for). Maybe the Beneski Museum of Natural History. Maybe the Bridge of Flowers. Other fun ideas?

Also, any dining suggestions? The kids are excellent, adventurous eaters. Some nut allergies, but it's easy to work around.

Mentioned in this post
Charlemont
Charlemont
Berkshires, MA
Berkshire Inn
Berkshire Inn
146 Reviews
Pittsfield, MA
Cape Cod Museum of Natural History
Cape Cod Museum of...
251 Reviews
Brewster, MA
Bridge of Flowers
Bridge of Flowers
517 Reviews
Shelburne Falls, MA
6 replies to this topic
Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
4,198 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deerfield/Greenfield/Charlemont areas

The only good place to eat in Greenfield is Hope and Olive. Nothing else nice about the town IMO. Shelburne Falls on the other hand is very nice. Gypsy Apple is a great restaurant.

Mentioned in this post
Greenfield
Greenfield
Massachusetts
Hope and Olive
Hope and Olive
391 Reviews
Greenfield, MA
Shelburne Falls
Shelburne Falls
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
3,771 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Deerfield/Greenfield/Charlemont areas

I think the People's Pint in Greenfield is really good as far as American/Bar Food goes. It's a pub but I wouldn't hesitate to bring kids around dinner time.

It's a beautiful area but I can't really think if anything 'to do' per se that sticks out. I know the area well as far as cycling back roads goes and it's great for that. Maybe you'd enjoy just driving around, exploring dirt roads and small towns.

It's probably worth jumping on rt. 91 and heading to Brattleboro VT if the immediate area isn't cutting it for you.

Mentioned in this post
Greenfield
Greenfield
Massachusetts
NH
Level Contributor
593 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deerfield/Greenfield/Charlemont areas

Thanks guys. The rafting trip is the reason...just adding a few things. Didn't want to drive back and forth the same day. I figure everyone will be pretty tired.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,292 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deerfield/Greenfield/Charlemont areas

Just a bit further up route 2 past the Mohawk Trail State Forest, take Black Brook Road (on the left) to Tannery Road (dirt/gravel) and hike down the trail/stairs to Tannery Falls.

Note: Google maps does not show Black Brook Road open, but it was reopened last year. Do not drive past the parking area near Tannery Falls - the road continues on to Savoy Mountain State Forest, but is really unsuitable for any vehicle except for a jeep.

Mentioned in this post
Mohawk Trail State Forest
Mohawk Trail State Forest
50 Reviews
Charlemont, MA
NH
Level Contributor
593 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deerfield/Greenfield/Charlemont areas

I'm glad you posted. I was trying to find an old post by you talking about that trail!

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
268 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Deerfield/Greenfield/Charlemont areas

Sugarloaf should be an easy hike and very rewarding with sublime views from the top. Old Deerfield village is very nice-- you can go into one or more of the historic houses if you feel like it, or just enjoy the general atmosphere. Shelburne Falls is an impossibly cute little burg. Has a little trolleycar museum and some interesting glacial formations in the Deerfield River which I think your kids can climb around on. Greenfield has a nice food coop and a rather traditional main street--i.e., one that still has some stores. Also a good food coop. Northampton MA, 20 miles down the road, is the regional standout for small city buzz but a bit out of your way.

Mentioned in this post
Shelburne Falls
Shelburne Falls
Massachusetts
Greenfield
Greenfield
Massachusetts
Northampton
Northampton
Hampshire County, MA
Reply to: Deerfield/Greenfield/Charlemont areas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted