We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston or Baltimore? Help me decide!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Boston or Baltimore? Help me decide!

Hi all,

Looking to go to either Baltimore or Boston for my bday weekend in June. It will be 4 girls total. Nothing fancy needed. Just looking to eat/light sightseeing/explore the city and visits some parks or fun interesting places. Please help me decide! We love seafood and both seem like really good places for seafood! Any suggestions? Where should we go and what should we do? Forgot to mention we are traveling by train or bus so no car! So is this an easy walking city to get around?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
14 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston or Baltimore? Help me decide!

If you're in NYC I'd think Philly or DC would be the "other" choices and then it would be a difficult question.

Boston would be a clear choice as compared to Baltimore based on about everything I can think of in June other than eating crab.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston or Baltimore? Help me decide!

Hi ! Ive been to Philly and most friends of mine have been to DC. Not sure what else there is to do in DC besides sightseeing so it wasn't a choice! Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston or Baltimore? Help me decide!

Also worthy of mention is that Baltimore would be better if you're budget sensitive. Although I haven't been there in a few years hotels were much cheaper then I'd have to assume still are because Boston is really high.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
30 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston or Baltimore? Help me decide!

Boston is much more walking friendly than Baltimore, but both are fun places to visit. Summer in Baltimore has a lot to offer. Great festivals and outdoor dining/bars. I am not sure when you are planning your trip, but there is a waterfront wine festival next weekend, Baltimore Pride, A whiskey event at the Sagamore distillery, among other things. Perhaps a bias, but I think seafood is far superior in Baltimore than in Boston. My Boston dwelling brother agrees!

Boston lodging is VERY expensive, compared to pretty much anywhere. It's such a fun city though, and there is so much to see.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I think budget and time are probably the biggest factors.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
670 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston or Baltimore? Help me decide!

Boston is a more economically-vibrant place than Baltimore, which has been struggling with depopulation and safety perceptions. The main tourist areas in Boston are very walkable and lively, and there's a nice mix of residential and commercial activity, because people still want to live in the downtown area here. On the other hand, hotel prices are definitely lower in Baltimore.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,932 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston or Baltimore? Help me decide!

Boston. Very walkable, compact city and if the 4 of you are sharing a room that will

bring the cost down.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston or Baltimore? Help me decide!

Thanks so much for the great tips! Is Baltimore easy to get around without a car? Not planning to go far just staying in city center. Also this may seem dumb but my friend is concerned Baltimore is dangerous. So is it? lol thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Boston...
Level Contributor
3,674 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston or Baltimore? Help me decide!

You should ask those questions on the Baltimore forum. Or better yet search it because I'm sure they've been asked many times.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
670 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston or Baltimore? Help me decide!

Using homicide as an indicator of public safety, it is fair to say that Boston is considerably safer than Baltimore. In 2017 there were 343 murders in Baltimore; by comparison there were 57 in Boston. That said, the great majority of the homicides in Baltimore were not in tourist areas, so you shouldn't fear for your life if you end up going there. (The Baltimore Sun has mapped them: https://homicides.news.baltimoresun.com/index.php?show_results=UPDATE+MAP&range=2017&district=all&zipcode=All&cause=all&age=all&gender=all&race=all&article=all).

Both cities have lots to see and do in a weekend. Baltimore has crab cakes; Boston has lobster rolls.

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
249 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston or Baltimore? Help me decide!

The soft shell crab and the low rates might decide you in favor of Baltimore. Inner Harbor is a pretty self-contained tourist bubble. Beyond that is the downtown and some nice n'hoods with characteristic rowhouses near or on the harbor at least one with crab places. Not sure what's to see in the downtown. It can be pretty dangerous in Baltimore and the dereliction in some of the neighborhoods is shocking to see but if you stay in the zone you should be fine. I think Boston together with neighboring Cambridge has way more to see and do. Beautiful parks and harbor front to explore, a variety of neighborhoods and an easy-to-manage transit system. Neither city will remind you much of New York but Boston's recent story is a little more like that of NY with lots of wealth, gentrification, new development, tourists and tourist attractions, etc.

Mentioned in this post
Baltimore
Baltimore
Maryland
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Reply to: Boston or Baltimore? Help me decide!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;