We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz toll transponder - Boston

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,366 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Hertz toll transponder - Boston

Just looking over my Hertz confirmation and saw this about tolls and transponders and something called Plate Pass.

The way I read it the renter only pays the transponder daily fee and the tolls on the day(s) that the car goes through the toll booth.

If so then I wonder what that means for companies that Hertz owns (like Dollar) and other car rental companies.

OR am I just reading this wrong?

US Mainland Customers only: If PlatePass is used, PlatePass LLC will charge you a service fee of $4.95 for each calendar day you incur a toll plus the cost of the toll at the Toll Authority's cash toll rate or highest undiscounted toll rate. PlatePass LLC will separately charge your credit or debit card the applicable charges after the close of your rental. Charges typically take 1-3 weeks after the rental closes to appear on your statement, but a longer delay may occur. Cash customers will be invoiced.

4 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
7,923 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hertz toll transponder - Boston

Sounds like Hertz has outsourced the toll collection to Plate Pass LLC. I guess you would have to check the other companies individually to see what their policy now is.

But I read it the same as you. If you use it only going and coming to the airport, you will be charged $9.90 plus the toll cost.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,366 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hertz toll transponder - Boston

Well it is a step in the right direction, maybe. If you are going to the Cape it will be less than a weekly rate but traveling around may boost the fees. Wonder what policy those who are not Mainland US will follow. It's always something !!!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,294 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hertz toll transponder - Boston

From what I've read Dollar and Thrifty charge huge daily rates for the entire time you have the transponder, starting on the first day it's triggered. The Hertz deal is a better one.

Chicago, IL
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod
Level Contributor
15,366 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hertz toll transponder - Boston

And the "first day it's triggered" is likely minutes after leaving the car rental at Logan and go through the Ted Williams tunnel.

Mentioned in this post
The Williams Inn
The Williams Inn
412 Reviews
Williamstown, MA
Reply to: Hertz toll transponder - Boston
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted