We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip March 2019 Ideas Please

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
31 reviews
Road Trip March 2019 Ideas Please

Hi, We are over for a roadtrip from the UK for Mardi Gras and beyond in March 2019 and looking for suggestions.

We are flying into Atlanta knowing we've got a full day drive to NOLA. Once in NOLA we have Sat-Wed for Mardi Gras and then plan to spend 4 days/nights travelling between there and Memphis, then going onto Nashville, Smoky Mountains then back to Atlanta phew! all in 2 weeks

Looking for ideas for things to do/places to visit/epic BBQ food and seafood and everything inbetween between NOLA and Memphis. We plan to track the Mississippi roughly. We're two couples (20's and 40's) who like a bit of music, drinks and food. Less excited by museums to be honest.

Lets have your best tips!

2 replies to this topic
Oahu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,957 posts
175 reviews
1. Re: Road Trip March 2019 Ideas Please

You may want to post this in the Road Trips forum if you haven't already.

But for Mississippi, I would stop in Vicksburg on the way to Memphis. Check out the Vicksburg National Military Park. big battle and 6 week siege was held there during the Civil War and the park is very well done. Get a guide through the park (full disclosure: my uncle is one) and they'll help provide a lot of info and context.

Some good restaurants to check out there would be 10 South, Rusty's, and Walnut Hills.

My family always went for BBQ there at Goldie's but I'd probably hold out for Memphis on that.

There's a Mississippi River museum in town as well and several beautiful antebellum homes/B&Bs that you can visit/tour. I worked a summer at Cedar Grove Mansion and I'm partial to it. :) (of course, I also grew up in the church they now own at the top of the hill which they use for wedding ceremonies so there's that too...) There's also the Old Courthouse Museum downtown.

On the way from Vicksburg to Memphis, drive up Hwy 61 to go through the Delta and Blues country.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,988 posts
508 reviews
2. Re: Road Trip March 2019 Ideas Please

Great ideas and to add just an hour or so south of Vicksburg add Natchez for a few hours to see some of the old plantation homes.

Love eating at Rusty's and driving thru Civil War park.

Reply to: Road Trip March 2019 Ideas Please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mississippi